Help! Changed hardware and storage spaces pools missing!

Mermalion

Limp Gawd
Hello, I hope y'all are having a great day.

Today was the day I upgraded my storage server. The system stores our data in a disk shelf over a sas connection. It also records video feed from poe cameras. Everything was working fine until I messed something up. This is what happened.

I cloned the hdd in my storage server to a ssd. Installed the ssd and the sas hba into the new server (just a ryzen 3700x desktop). Fired the system up and it booted right into windows server 2019 as expected. Like I said I cloned the original OS drive from the previous server. After doing this I can't see any of my pools that were created in storage spaces. The disks show up fine in disk manager and storage spaces. They show the correct virtual disks and everything as I'd expect. Disk manager shows the drives as RAW. They're supposed to be REFS volumes. Does anyone know what could've happened and if it's possible for me to get these back? Thanks for any help. If you need any additional pics or information just let me know.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have an update.. Today I've begun trying to use a program called testdisk. It claims to be able to restore partitions. I tried it on one of the smaller disks (1TB) to minimize data loss should something go wrong. The program seems to have done what it claimed to do. It can take a very long time to scan the drive for partitions. I'll let y'all know how it goes from here. It's currently scanning a 3tb drive.

P. S. I do have backups in the cloud. I'd like to avoid having to download all that data though if possible.

Yes I did.. Put the previous computer back together exactly the same way it was. It didn't fix anything. Drives still show up exactly the same way. Thanks for that though.

Welp, probably stuck with testdisk then. It's a great program, but not fun to need to use it.

Maybe, you can guess the partition data (single partition for the whole drive, starting at either the first sector or 1MB into the drive) but I think testdisk tries likely possibilities for partitons first before doing the truly time consuming stuff, and you've got to be careful with partitioning tools, sometimes they take initiative and start a filesystem, overwriting what's already there.

Back