Help buying a single security camera...

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a couple cats and one of the little aholes is pissing outside the litter box.. trying to figure out which one it is so I want to setup a security camera with motion sensing that can connect to my PC to do all the recording. Does anything like this exist? It will need to be wireless for network but I do have plugs available for the power. Thx for any help.. this has been going on long enough and it could be a medical problem one is having.

Foscams are supposed to be pretty good, DLink makes some good ones as well. Just get something with at least 720P.

Foscams are supposed to be pretty good, DLink makes some good ones as well. Just get something with at least 720P.

Just realized no night vision on that one.. started reading they latest firmware on them broke motion detection.. other than that model they are getting horrible reviews... sucks.. D-Link I might look into but I try to go with the ones that have the better reviews so I don't end up with issues.

I have a couple cats and one of the little aholes is pissing outside the litter box.. trying to figure out which one it is so I want to setup a security camera with motion sensing that can connect to my PC to do all the recording. Does anything like this exist? It will need to be wireless for network but I do have plugs available for the power. Thx for any help.. this has been going on long enough and it could be a medical problem one is having.

Lol. You will have to put up a large sign and have the cats sign a consent form so you won't get sued :D

How about simply using something like webcamxp and a cheap webcam?

CCTV territory is either expensive IP cams or analog cams which require a frame grabber. You mentioned wireless, and there are wireless webcams.

I just ordered this one: LaView Panda LV-PC902F2-W HD 1080P 2MP Day/Night w/PIR Detection, Motion, Built-in Micro SD Slot Wireless or PoE IP Camera-Newegg.com. It is on sale at $79.99 from NE's typical $100 price.

It is a rebadge of the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JWCV9CU

The LaView is 2 MP (vs 3 MP) of the Hikvision, so the low light sensitivity is slightly better (0.028 lux vs 0.070 lux). I do not know if this matters in real life. I will be using it as a baby monitor so low light sensitivity and WAF were important, and POE was an added bonus.

Many of these IP cameras allow for remote viewing. This feature is not important to me and I will be blocking the camera at our firewall. However, I think Foscam might use P2P for this functionality, but the feature could not be disabled in their firmware and traffic was being routed out of the country (see Foscam Forum • View topic - Foscam Dialing Out to Suspect Hosts). This might have been rectified in newer FWs, but it was enough for me to avoid the brand altogether.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Lol. You will have to put up a large sign and have the cats sign a consent form so you won't get sued :D

How about simply using something like webcamxp and a cheap webcam?

CCTV territory is either expensive IP cams or analog cams which require a frame grabber. You mentioned wireless, and there are wireless webcams.

The cams I linked have an internal micro SD card that records on movement. They also notify me via phone notification so I can yell over the two way speaker "STOP PISSING ON THE FLOOR".... :)

I just ordered this one: LaView Panda LV-PC902F2-W HD 1080P 2MP Day/Night w/PIR Detection, Motion, Built-in Micro SD Slot Wireless or PoE IP Camera-Newegg.com. It is on sale at $79.99 from NE's typical $100 price.

It is a rebadge of the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW here: Amazon.com: Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW 3MP Indoor IR Wifi Cube Camera 2.8mm: Camera & Photo

The LaView is 2 MP (vs 3 MP) of the Hikvision, so the low light sensitivity is slightly better (0.028 lux vs 0.070 lux). I do not know if this matters in real life. I will be using it as a baby monitor so low light sensitivity and WAF were important, and POE was an added bonus.

Many of these IP cameras allow for remote viewing. This feature is not important to me and I will be blocking the camera at our firewall. However, I think Foscam might use P2P for this functionality, but the feature could not be disabled in their firmware and traffic was being routed out of the country (see Foscam Forum • View topic - Foscam Dialing Out to Suspect Hosts). This might have been rectified in newer FWs, but it was enough for me to avoid the brand altogether.

I checked out the LaView and it seems ppl have mixed reviews about it. One person says you need a windows 7 PC just to get it setup and its a pain to setup. One person said the motion activation is messed up because his is making an internal noise that can be heard in the mic *shrug*.

I think the AOSEE is the one I will go with. Almost all good reviews and excellent support. Iphone applicatoin that notifies you on movement and micro sd slot for video recording. It's also 60$ free shipping.. After I find the pisser I may set it up at the front door to watch delivery guys *shrug*. It can also pan around the room using the phone app..

Last edited:
Why not get a trail camera. They have sensors, can record video clips in 720p and sometimes higher, all saved on an SD card for viewing on PC. Sounds the easiest to me. Set it up, wait, check the card, and throw the troublemaker out!!! ;)

Why not get a trail camera. They have sensors, can record video clips in 720p and sometimes higher, all saved on an SD card for viewing on PC. Sounds the easiest to me. Set it up, wait, check the card, and throw the troublemaker out!!! ;)

LOL.. well I like the idea of the phone app that notifies me upon movement.. may save it for a baby cam later on. Only person being thrown out would be me! lol.. I'm a dog person and my wife is a cat person... so we compromised and got 3 cats... I own a decent size home so at least I don't feel like I am surrounded by animals.. the Boy cat is actually my buddy so I hope it's not him doing it.

Hahaha I had the same situation a few years ago....come to find out that my one cat had diabetes. I this camera to figure out what the deal was:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZP8UOW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had no issues with the motion detection picking up when they used the litter boxes it was mounted over.

On a side note, we had to put the cat down in December 2014 because he got so bad and refused to take insulin shots. Now my 12 1/2 year old Pug is diabetic now, but he takes his shots and has a harness that holds a diaper that keeps messes to a minimum.

Back