Help burning/converting .WMA files....with a twist

Monkey34

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, the background: I had a bunch of music tracks ripped from PS1 games that I liked on cd, and the cd is wearing out (the last 7 tracks are un-playable). The cd will not be recognized on the computer, so I can't make a direct copy. I actually still have the tracks on my computer.....but I ripped them like 5 years ago(wmp7 or something), and nothing will burn them...wmp says the licences are messed up, musicmatch says I dont have burning rights. Same for roxio.
I tried to convert them to mp3, but the program I tried (mmconvert) wont do it (gives an unknown error). Anyone have a good program for this?

Or am I stuck digging the games out of my "mess of a shed" to re-rip (a last option)?

If you can still play them on the computer, use something like TotalRecorder to capture the audio as a WAV file that you can then encode to whatever format you want.

Realize, of course, that this kind of transcoding from one lossy format (WMV) to the non-lossy format (WAV) is ok, but then from WAV to another lossy format (mp3, Ogg/Vorbis, etc) is just going to hurt the sound quality - as if it's not hurting already because you chose WMV in the first place. :eek:

Hope this helps...
bb

ps
After re-reading your OP, if the licenses are screwed - meaning they were DRM'ed on the original installation of Windows when you encoded them - you're screwed three ways from Sunday. Without those licenses, those WMA files are basically useless. There was something out there floating around in the ether of the Internet years ago that would remove DRM from Windows Media 7 files, but you didn't hear that from me. :)

I realized what I did......I copied the tracks from a borked HDD (winME install) when I was saving my files to the new HDD (upgraded to Xp at the same time). That's the reason for the licence error.
Guess I'm stuck digging through the mess :mad:

Back