Help building a SSF PC

Hello, i am a new member to this forum.

At first i want to say sorry for my bad english since it's not my first language.
I've been having a somewhat crazy idea on my mind for a while now :),
And i thought it would be better to have some experts take a look at it...
Maybe i missed some incompatibility issues here and there :D.

i wanna build a second gaming PC, yes i already have one^^ which is my main rig...
Since its not portable at all, i wanna build a portable pc which has some requirements.
I want it as small as possible, it needs to be quiet, it needs to be power efficient, and i'm on a budget. (Well i want it as cheap as possible.)

I already did some research and made a few choices..
Since i want it as small as possible. I'm 100% satisfied with a mITX build.
i'm thinking of using a Silverstone sugo-sg05 since i like the design and it's one of the most smallest cases on the market, because it utilizes a SFX powersupply.

Here's a copy of the sticky threat's questions:

1. What will you be doing with this PC? I want to build this computer to take it to my girlfriend and to my father since both live reasonably far away.. my main rig is too expensive/heavy to carry around. I am gonna use it there for some casual gaming (medium-high settings at 1080p with a normal framerate 40-50-60 fps) At home i want it for some couch gaming. and with that i mean mainly RTS games.... And as a simple HTPC....

2. Will you be overclocking? (If so, are you looking to watercool?)
I want to fully utilize the g3258's overclocking potential, even though i have no experience with overclocking. Watercooling is not in my budget range, i think?

3. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?
500€ with tax etc. included, it is flexible... if the build would meet my requirements at 400€ it's better ofcourse.... Cost is a driving factor in component selection.

4. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)? I live in the netherlands. Not familiar, i always order online.

5. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need (especially if you will need 3.5" hard drives or expansion cards as these may restrict case options).
I need a: case,mobo,psu,gpu,cpu. maybe an optical drive? maybe cpu cooler?

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions. I already have: (2x4) 8 gigs, 1600 mhz corsair vengeance low profile ddr3 memory. and a seagate barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200 rpm drive.

7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Thunderbolt? Crossfire or SLI support? How many USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list. minor overclocking potential for the intel G3258, further i don't need any specific future's. Needs to be mini itx from a trusted brand, as cheap as possible..

8. What resolution output do you need? 4k playback, 1080p playback, etc for HTPC or give a vertical/horizontal resolution for gaming SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output? single monitor 1920x1080 gaming, single monitor 1080p playback HTPC. Gaming just needs to be casual, with that i mean: medium-high setting in most games without lag is enough.. Since i have my primary computer at home.. (i'd rather play on a lower setting then on ultra with lagg..)

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc. Many modern SFF cases have either removed the optical drive or have been constructed so that removing the ODD increases the configuration possibilities immensely. I don't need a optical drive if that decreases the configuration possibilities of the case, if it doesnt make a difference then i rather include it since i'm also gonna use it as a HTPC. (90% of my media is digital though).

10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?
i'm not comfortable modding in this build. i have acces to some hand tools like a saw, etc.. And a soldering iron. Just in case...

11. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? HTPCs typically want to be quiet while all-out SFF gaming rigs don't care. It is Important... But not if it increases the cost drastically.

12. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?
I want it as small as possible. would be nice to fit in a backpack.. doesnt need carrying straps. weight isnt that important..

13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Remember that OEM copies of Win7 have issues with new motherboards. Yes i do, windows 7 64 bit..

14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years? In a couple of weeks..

Here's what i've been thinking about..

Case: Silverstone sugo-sg05
PSU: 300 watt included one.
Mobo: not sure yet??
GPU: Nvidia 750 Ti
CPU: Pentium G3258 (Anniversary edition)

I have chosen these parts because i want the build to be small, quiet, power efficient, and for a good value...

I do have a few question's:

Will the 300 watt psu be enough to power the G3258 when it's overclocked decent? (like 4.2 ghz.. not 4.7..)

i've seen a mobo with it's only downside is that is has pci-e 2.0 instead of 3.0 will this make a difference?

will the boxed cpu cooler be enough for a steady overclock? (Maybe its to hot inside this case) i3 might be a better option? (Rather stay away from amd tho, since its hot and power consuming..)

Will a dual fan gtx 750ti fit inside the sugo sg05? like the MSI one?
The specs say it doesnt, but im wondering since the 750ti doesnt need power connectors..
Is a dual fan 750 ti overall worth it instead of a shorter pcb version? or doesnt it make any difference at all?

What do you guys think?

I'm glad to hear your opinions.

Yours Sincerely,

Silverp0int.

Hello, i am a new member to this forum.

Welcome to the club! :)

First of, I think you should consider the SG13, it is only 5mm longer and 5mm higher than the SG05 but offers support for full size ATX PSUs, looks way better in my opinion, but drops support for the ODD. Just a thought, though, the SG05 is a very good case and there's nothing wrong with using it.

Will the 300 watt psu be enough to power the G3258 when it's overclocked decent? (like 4.2 ghz.. not 4.7..)

In theory it will work easily, 300W are enough for an i7 and a GTX970, so with your 750 Ti there should be no problem whatsoever, even when overclocking the Pentium. I would ask others for confirmation, though ;)

Also make sure to not accidentally buy the version of the SG05 with the USB2 front ports.

i've seen a mobo with it's only downside is that is has pci-e 2.0 instead of 3.0 will this make a difference?
PCIe x16 3.0 has a doubled bitrate opposed to 2.0. (15.75Gb/s vs. 8Gb/s) I don't think it will bottleneck the 750 Ti, and it normally doesn't matter in gaming applications, but if you can get more for the same money, you should. Especially when considering future upgrades.

will the boxed cpu cooler be enough for a steady overclock? (Maybe its to hot inside this case) i3 might be a better option? (Rather stay away from amd tho, since its hot and power consuming..)

It will be enough, but it will get loud. The boxed coolers are designed specifically for the TDP requirements of CPU they are bundled with, and when overclocking, those requirements change. You've got quite a bit of space, so I would consider something like the Scythe Shuriken 2 Rev.B, or, if you want to go a bit cheaper, the Alpenföhn Panorama.
There also is the Cryorig C1, which is a beast of a CPU cooler and it will keep your system quiet and cool no problem, but it is quite expensive at ~60€.

Will a dual fan gtx 750ti fit inside the sugo sg05? like the MSI one?
The specs say it doesnt, but im wondering since the 750ti doesnt need power connectors..
Is a dual fan 750 ti overall worth it instead of a shorter pcb version? or doesnt it make any difference at all?
Yes, they will all fit when they're under 254mm long, and nearly all 750Tis are. There are seven models of the 750Ti with a 6pin connector, but that's mainly needed because they're overclocked. A 750Ti at stock speeds draws less than 75W, which are supplied via the PCIe connector.
I think the dual fan versions are worth it for the noise, and having one of the models with a 6pin connector won't be a problem either, as the 300W supply in the SG05 has that, too.

What do you guys think?

Fairly standard SFF build, I don't think you will run into any problems. :)

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for answering my questions, the sugo sg13 indeed is a better choice. I didnt even knew it exists... I also think it looks better. But i cant find any site where they sell it. Especially in the netherlands.

Well if 300 watt isnt enough for overclocking the g3258 that shouldnt be a problemen since the sg13 can house a atx psu. So a bigger psu will solve it, also for future upgrades indeed.
But maybe its a better choice to go for a other cpu?
What do you think?

G3258 has one problem - it's only dual core without multithreading and some recent game engines started requiring at least four thread such as I believe last two call of duty titles and some ubisoft games. closest intel cpu with 4 cores and close performance is some i3 which is twice as expensive. On the other hand you've got some amd chips but only APU's have mITX boards, no FX/AM3+ ones.

For 750 ti the G3258 is a good combo. Most games work fine with dual core, and usually lack of support comes from shitty optimization (eg Far Cry 4, which worked with a workaround). Obviously you've got that upgrade path too, but maybe you'd want to upgrade to broadwell/skylake/whatever by then.

The big thing about the G3258 over the I3 is the price and high overclocks you can get out of it...

I think It's a great starting point processor, indeed i have the possibility to upgrade to an next gen i5 :) perhaps an i7 ^^ i mean 1150 is still fairly new right ?

The money saved on the Pentium could be used elsewhere. A better motherboard and/or a larger/better psu to make that upgrade path visible....

what do you guys think about this motherboard ? Asrock H97M-ITX/AC
or can you give me a better option ? mITX for around 100€ or less.

Yeah, the upcoming broadwell generation for desktops will be on LGA1150 after that we will see next generation named skylake on LGA1151 with DDR4 memory.

good point rawr - a lot of games get patched and fixed within first month after release.

Buy some of the parts used. You can get fairly good deals in used parts that will help you achieve your goal. Buying new isn't wise considering you have a small budget.

Back