My old system got fried by a faulty power supply I put on it to test it (or so I think), so I ordered some new parts:
Asus P4S800 Motherboard
Pentium 4 3.0E GHZ Prescott
512 PC3200 Kingston Value RAM
Case with 350W power supply.
My video card is a raedon 7500 all-in-wonder
I used all my old drives, and I power it up and it doesn't work. Nothing comes on the monitor and it just keeps repeatedly beeping (long beep for 5 seconds, silence for 5 seconds, repeat). If I hit the reset button while it's doing this, the monitor comes on and it takes me into BIOS and tells me that "During the last boot-up, your system hung for an improper CPU Internal Frequency Setting. Your system is now working in safe mode. To optimize the system performance and reliability, make sure the CPU internal frequency conforms to the specifications of your CPU."
I'm not trying to overclock or anything, just do a default set up. The Bios is the latest version of Award. Occasionally it will start to load windows, but will hang, the monitor will go off and it will start beeping. It does this also when the hard drive is not plugged in and when the memory is not plugged in. I've spent 6 straight hours on this today, and do not know what the problem could be. This motherboard is supposed to be compatabile with this processor, yet it's not working. So, what's the deal?
1. Bad Processor? Don't think so. somehow it managed to boot linux (not windows) and was working
2. Bad Mobo? Seriously doubtful, but possible.
3. Incompatabile memory? My RAM is not on the approved list by the mobo, but it is very close to another kingston's S/N that is on the list. When I change the speed to 333MHz instead of 400, i don't get the beep codes anymore and the system POSTs, but everytime it tries to load windows, it just restarts itself. When I change the speed back to 400MHz, I get the beep codes again (4 second long, repeating beeps). I also plugged the memory into another machine that only accepts a max of PC2700 and it works fine in there, so I know the memory is GOOD, but it may not be compatible with my Asus (why the hell not?).
4. Not enough power? Surely 350W is enough?
5. Video card? It says it only supports 1.5V AGP. I have no idea what my ATI 7500 AIW is. When I unplug the video card, I get the no video beep code.
My bet is memory, but I'm afraid to order new memory because then I am out another $70 if it doesn't fix the problem. I tried clearing the CMOS and flashing the BIOS, both a no-go.
Any ideas? Help me solve this computer mystery, because right now I'm out $350 to Newegg.com and have no idea what's wrong or what I need to send back.
Asus P4S800 Motherboard
Pentium 4 3.0E GHZ Prescott
512 PC3200 Kingston Value RAM
Case with 350W power supply.
My video card is a raedon 7500 all-in-wonder
I used all my old drives, and I power it up and it doesn't work. Nothing comes on the monitor and it just keeps repeatedly beeping (long beep for 5 seconds, silence for 5 seconds, repeat). If I hit the reset button while it's doing this, the monitor comes on and it takes me into BIOS and tells me that "During the last boot-up, your system hung for an improper CPU Internal Frequency Setting. Your system is now working in safe mode. To optimize the system performance and reliability, make sure the CPU internal frequency conforms to the specifications of your CPU."
I'm not trying to overclock or anything, just do a default set up. The Bios is the latest version of Award. Occasionally it will start to load windows, but will hang, the monitor will go off and it will start beeping. It does this also when the hard drive is not plugged in and when the memory is not plugged in. I've spent 6 straight hours on this today, and do not know what the problem could be. This motherboard is supposed to be compatabile with this processor, yet it's not working. So, what's the deal?
1. Bad Processor? Don't think so. somehow it managed to boot linux (not windows) and was working
2. Bad Mobo? Seriously doubtful, but possible.
3. Incompatabile memory? My RAM is not on the approved list by the mobo, but it is very close to another kingston's S/N that is on the list. When I change the speed to 333MHz instead of 400, i don't get the beep codes anymore and the system POSTs, but everytime it tries to load windows, it just restarts itself. When I change the speed back to 400MHz, I get the beep codes again (4 second long, repeating beeps). I also plugged the memory into another machine that only accepts a max of PC2700 and it works fine in there, so I know the memory is GOOD, but it may not be compatible with my Asus (why the hell not?).
4. Not enough power? Surely 350W is enough?
5. Video card? It says it only supports 1.5V AGP. I have no idea what my ATI 7500 AIW is. When I unplug the video card, I get the no video beep code.
My bet is memory, but I'm afraid to order new memory because then I am out another $70 if it doesn't fix the problem. I tried clearing the CMOS and flashing the BIOS, both a no-go.
Any ideas? Help me solve this computer mystery, because right now I'm out $350 to Newegg.com and have no idea what's wrong or what I need to send back.