I don't know if I've posted with this problem here before. I don't think so, because I had a lot of boot problems with Windows XP which finally ended in moving to Vista, and now I'm having boot problems again.
This time, besides sometimes blacking out and freezing, my PC will try to detect a RAID array at boot up. I only have one Western Digital 200g SATA drive plugged in. No other devices like iPods or flash drives plugged in. The rest of the computer is thus:
ECS socket 939 motherboard
Athlon 64 3000+ processor
2gigs of Corsair Value memory
Asus X800XL videocard
Xi-Fi XtremeMusic (the old version with 2 megs of RAM)
A Sony CD/DVD drive
A Memorex CD/ DVD burner drive
This error seems completely random. When it first showed up, I hadn't changed anything in the BIOS from the defaults. I just unplugged the computer and drained the residual electricity, and then it booted up again. This time, unplugging it and plugging it back in didn't work. So I went into the BIOS again, messed with the boot sequence (because the floppy drive boots first) but that didn't work. I made sure all RAID settings were disabled, turned off some peripherals I didn't use (such as a parallel port and the two serial ports there), that didn't work. Then I went back into the BIOS and set Drive A to None. Then the machine finally booted.
My grasp of computers is okay, but still limited. I'm not sure if the PC finally just booted on it's own (this has happened before after much restarting with errors like this), or if a change I made actually fixed it. I've fought with these boot up problems for months. Any thoughts? If you need more ifnromation, let me know, and I can see what I can do.
This time, besides sometimes blacking out and freezing, my PC will try to detect a RAID array at boot up. I only have one Western Digital 200g SATA drive plugged in. No other devices like iPods or flash drives plugged in. The rest of the computer is thus:
ECS socket 939 motherboard
Athlon 64 3000+ processor
2gigs of Corsair Value memory
Asus X800XL videocard
Xi-Fi XtremeMusic (the old version with 2 megs of RAM)
A Sony CD/DVD drive
A Memorex CD/ DVD burner drive
This error seems completely random. When it first showed up, I hadn't changed anything in the BIOS from the defaults. I just unplugged the computer and drained the residual electricity, and then it booted up again. This time, unplugging it and plugging it back in didn't work. So I went into the BIOS again, messed with the boot sequence (because the floppy drive boots first) but that didn't work. I made sure all RAID settings were disabled, turned off some peripherals I didn't use (such as a parallel port and the two serial ports there), that didn't work. Then I went back into the BIOS and set Drive A to None. Then the machine finally booted.
My grasp of computers is okay, but still limited. I'm not sure if the PC finally just booted on it's own (this has happened before after much restarting with errors like this), or if a change I made actually fixed it. I've fought with these boot up problems for months. Any thoughts? If you need more ifnromation, let me know, and I can see what I can do.