Help! Audigy 2 is no longer detected!

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
OK, here's the lowdown:

I was using my computer normally, just browsing the internet, and listening to music, and the like. My sound card has been working for 6 solid months. The computer locks up for no apparent reason, no error messages, no beeps, just locks up. It's done this before, so I think it is a video card issue. I reboot. Upon reboot, the BIOS screen does not come up. It says Bad BIOS checksum.... attempting recovery now...I hit reset again, and this time the POST screen comes up. I hit Delete to get into the BIOS, but I just get an assortment of jumbled characters instead of the bios menus and such. So I get my motherboard (Asus P4 S800D) Cd out and put it in the CD drive. It contains an original BIOS that I can fall back to. I successfully flash to that BIOS, then boot up again. I get it to come into windows, and it is OK up to here, except I can't hear anything. I didn't really notice, because I was fretting about the BIOS being screwed. I updated to the latest BIOS and rebooted. It came up fine, so I relax and want to listen to my music. I bring up WMP and drag a song into the playlist. Lo and Behold, an error message pops up: WMP cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device." I go to control panel and check Sounds and Audio Devices. It says "no sound device". My Audigy 2 is not listed under device manager, and no "Found new Hardware" thing pops up upon restarting windows. I have my onboard AC'97 device disabled in the BIOS.

I need help here. Why would it all of a sudden not detect the A2? I'm going to try to reinstall drivers for it and see if that helps. This is really annoying...

Can anyone think of anything I could do? Or is the card dead? It's still under warranty, I'm sure and I haven't done anything to it.

Well, never mind. A simple turn off, reset CMOS, and reseat card worked. I still don't understand why it didn't see it, I'm positive I didn't bump it. Oh well, at least it works.

Back