Help an old folder get back into it.

Zohar78

[H]ard|Gawd
Its been about 2 - 3 years since i ran F@H, and recently upgraded my pc and moved to a new town. I would like to get back into folding. Here is my system specs: intel quad q8200, 4gb ram, 640 gb wd black edition, ati 4670.
Boy, things have changed alot in folding. multiple smp clients for processors, even vga clients. dont know which to run, or whether the 4670 can even run vga client decent...
thanks.... i blieve i can probably get 2 more PCs up and running soon...but they are single core..

Well, are you looking for the easiest way to set it up, or the way that will get you the most points output? The most trouble-free way would be to set up an instance of the GPU client and four uniprocessor clients (one per core) running as services. Practically no maintenance.

Now, to get the most points out of your chip is a little more problematic because your CPU doesn't have hardware virtualization support, so you can't run Linux VMs. You can either run Linux as your primary OS and fold under that, or if you don't want to, you can run the Windows SMP client on your CPU. Also, for the GPU you should follow the instructions in this thread to get the best perfomance and least CPU usage possible: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1419852

Zero has ya,

Start with step one, get comfy then go on to step two, or wait for the new SMP clients that we might see in a few months.

I didn't know that some Core2s were not able to support VMs. I thought all modern CPUs could do it.

I didn't know that some Core2s were not able to support VMs. I thought all modern CPUs could do it.
Many of Intel's lower-end CPUs do not support hardware virtualization. However, since Windows 7 will have XP mode which requires it, they have started to add it to most of their newer CPUs. An older chip like the Q8200 doesn't have it though (the Q8400 does).

Back