Help adding wireless to laptop

briang

Weaksauce
I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the Mobile forums, but I'll try here. I am trying to add internal wireless to an Inspiron 1200. There was no antenna in the display, so I got one (ebay item 260110262541), seemed like it would be easy enough. So I installed a card, and installed the antenna in the display, up top. They had mounting holes, but didnt line up, so I just stuck them onto the foil on the bottom of the display lid (the metal antennas had a sticky mounting surface).

Reception is great til I walk more than 5 feet from the router, then it drops off, and is at one bar (-90db from netstumbler) at the end of the house (40 feet?).

I tried one antenna at a time, swapping the antennas, etc...nothing, I know they are fully connected. Did I do somethign wrong by sticking them both to the foil on the back of the display (the sticky stuff looked like coppper, so I assume this was meant to conduct). do the antenna's need to be in a specific spot?

Other systems get 100% signal where this one gets nothing. I tried removing the back of the display, and just have the antennas loose, and it gets alot better. It seems the closer the wires are to the LCD, the worse the signal. I tried using just one antenna, and routing the cable as far away from the inverter/display cable as possible, but I still got a horrible connection.

FYI, I have the same wireless card in my thinkpad and it is fine.

I think you have just found your problem. Try removing the foil

let me explain a bit more.

the cover of the laptop goes like this, the top being the part you see when the display is closed.

foil (attached to top)
LCD
bezel.

I put the antennas on the top, stuck to the foil. however, when the top was removed from the lcd, reception was a little better, but as soon as the wires got near the LCD again, the signal was all but dropped.

I am going to try just using the antenna straight from the wireless card (no routing through case), and I also have another wireless card I am going to try..

Back