• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help a noob OC his 965.

Brashen

Gawd
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
695
Howdie fellas,

I'm trying to OC my Core i7 965 and have never OCed before so I'd greatly appreciate a step by step tutorial. My setup is in my sig. I'm a concept artist so I'm not that tech savvy. So what you take for granted I'll find informative so don't spare me anything please.

Right now I have the stock heatsink fan on but I plan on buying a V8 later. Another thing I heard that I have to reclock my 1600 dimms so that they are actually working at that speed.
is this true?

Thanks for the help folks.
 
There's an entire section devoted to Overclocking and articles by Hardocp on the i7. Overclocking the i7 cpus are somewhat different so I'd take a look at Kyle's articles first.

If you're machine is vital to your work, I'd be REAL conservative with overclocking. That and the fact you have a thousand dollar cpu on hand also makes me think twice about directing you ;)

Good luck!
 
Pkirk618: Thanks man, I've watched the video Kyle supplied and while it helped me understand some stuff it's still about the 920 and not the 965. And most threads here about the 920s. Any articles specifically about OCing the 965 ? And you are right this workstation is mainly for my work. Thanks again.

@AthlonXP: Haha thanks man. Any advice tho?
 
well since it's an "extreme" can't you just bump up the multiplier and voltage a little?
 
If you read through this it will get you started. There is also a thread dedicated for your motherboard in the Intel section of the forum there. You'll be able to look at overclock settings and results posted by others.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3379790&postcount=1

Because your just learning the settings in the BIOS and the concept of overclocking, as well as the fact your using your computer I'm sure for your business work, don't try to push the system too far because stability is the most important thing, not clock speed. I'd keep it at 3.8Ghz and under unless you managed to get a golden sample and it will overclock to 4Ghz on low voltage.
 
Sojuuk: Haha whats that?

burningrave101: Thanks mate for the info and the link. Your right stability is my main concern so I'm not looking to OC to the edge. And how would you know you've got a decent cpu for OCing?
 
burningrave101: Thanks mate for the info and the link. Your right stability is my main concern so I'm not looking to OC to the edge. And how would you know you've got a decent cpu for OCing?

You'll know based on how well it's overclocking stability wise without giving it a big increase in vcore voltage. If you can run 4Ghz stable with less then 1.3-1.35v then that's good for an i7.
 
Back
Top