• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Help a brotha pick an LCD

r4nger

n00b
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
8
Ok so I've been researching LCDs for a while now but just can't seem to make up my mind on which one should be my first. My budget is 250-300ish.

I'm a big FPS gamer so I'm constantly playing games like CS, BF2, FEAR, and Farcry so the response time for my monitor has to be good.

I'm also a Film student so I do a fair amount of video and picture editing for school, plus it's a hobby. For that reason my colors need to be good. They don't have to be spot on but they can't be real bad.

The monitors I've been looking at include:
VX922, 940BF, 90GX2, 971P, FP93GX (nice for the money)

From what I've read from reviews and other forums I'm leaning towards either the 90GX2 or the 971P. I just don't know how good the 971P holds up for FPS.

I'm home on Christmas vacation but will be ordering a monitor before I go home around the first of the year so any help before then would be great.
 
I have the VX924, which is essentially the VX922 (from what I recall, just a different response rate.) I can personally recommend it, especially if you are used to a CRT--the difference was fantastic and I adjusted almost immediately.

202276
 
I'm a bit worried about the colors on it though. I've heard they are really not up to par with some of the others I've mentioned. Have you had much experience with other monitors so that you would be able to tell how yours stacks up to others?
 
I think the 940 is a better version of the 930B, a monitor that I have. It has a faster response time, and better contrast ratio. However, from my usage of the 930B, I can recommend the 940. A single press of the button lets you change settings for contrast and brightness depending on what you are doing with the computer. Isn't that awesome?
 
That's pretty sweet...although at this point I think it's between the 90GX2 and the 971P..possibly the VX922 I duunnnkna. Picking an LCD is alot harder than when I bought my CRT. I know I'm gonna dig the LCD but man it's hard picking between gaming or good color, or trying to compromise like I'm trying to do.
 
What video card will be used?

I love my acer 22" (in sig). I see no ghosting, and running it on a 7950gx2 at 16x10rez with all the eye candy, I get very acceptable framerates in Fear, WoW, and BF2142.

Not to mention the 22" is under $300-350 at Circuit City, which isnt bad even for a TN panel.
 
r4nger said:
I'm a bit worried about the colors on it though. I've heard they are really not up to par with some of the others I've mentioned. Have you had much experience with other monitors so that you would be able to tell how yours stacks up to others?
I haven't had much experience with LCD's, just the one monitor. I think the colors on it are sufficient for my needs.... I couldn't really tell you what "acceptable" vs. "unacceptable" is, as opinions differ greatly by person. I am happy with it, I tried the 930B for about 4 days and, although I liked the slightly larger size, I was unhappy with the overall "darkness" of the image displayed. EVERYTHING seemed darker, even with contrast adjusted and brightness bumped up considerably. Even worked with PowerStrip to adjust the color temperatures, but then the colors seemed too washed out or mangled to be considered acceptable--ended up returning it and I got the restocking fee waived (yay for working at the place I got the monitor!)

FYI I tried the 930B about 7 months ago, Samsung could have adjusted/refreshed it since then.

202276
 
bmartin said:
What video card will be used?

I love my acer 22" (in sig). I see no ghosting, and running it on a 7950gx2 at 16x10rez with all the eye candy, I get very acceptable framerates in Fear, WoW, and BF2142.

Not to mention the 22" is under $300-350 at Circuit City, which isnt bad even for a TN panel.

Hey bmartin, could you take a few pictures of your monitor? I'm interested in seeing how it looks with games and stuff like that.
 
Absolutely. As soon as I get home, I will.

I think I put one up already in the "show us your LCD setups" thread, I will look, but closeups today.

Just so you can "not really" see what it looks like, here is a pic i posted in the "show us what you got for Xmas" thread in GenMay:

picture031mg8.jpg
 
Well that's the thing, right now I have a 9800pro 256. It's actually a champ in farcry, hl2, fear, cs:s...almost all setting on high, no AA. I get around 70fps is cs:s but it does drop to around 40 in a battle. This is all at 1024x768 by the way. I will definately be upgrading my system to pci-e I'm just waiting for the intel chip price drop in early-mid 2007.
 
I just ordered the Acer 22 inch too, i was just waiting for it to have HDCP and now it does.
 
I'll probably buy a ws with my next compy upgrade but for now I'm sticking to something 19-20 in.
 
Sorry, I didnt get a chance to get more pics today. I work graveyard and finally got a day of sleep!

On the 2216, it displays 720p beautifully. Unfortunately, when you try 1080, it garbles.
 
Back
Top