• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help - 1TB WD Blue drive

Etherton

Will Bang for Poof
Joined
Aug 7, 2006
Messages
6,996
I had my first drive failure. It is a 1TB WD Blue and I would REALLY like to save the photos that are on it. I should have had a back-up and will from now on but is there anything I can try? The drive just disappeared one day and when I reboot the computer it'll make a few noises, but will go silent after a few minutes. I took the drive out and moved it to another location and it done the same thing. Never acted up prior to this.

Thanks everyone!
 
I reboot the computer it'll make a few noises, but will go silent after a few minutes

Most likely this means it is dead (at least 1 of the heads can not read a platter) and beyond user recovery. You can send it out to a recovery shop that will try to recover your data but this can cost $1000 US. If you choose to do that stop messing with it. The more you power it on the higher the chance of damage to the drive that will prevent recovery even from the recovery company (that are going to take the disks out and put them in a working drive of the same size in a special clean room to attempt recovery)
 
Last edited:
Well, crap. I keep hoping to see it popup long enough to get the folder off it. Doubt I'll be sending it off for that price. Thanks!
 
Back many years ago I had a PATA drive just quit like yours. A buddy suggested freezing the drive and then try to access it. I was able to copy about 25% before it shit the bed for good, I have no idea if this is still possible but 25% is better than none!
 
Might give that a try. I'll report back if I try it. Thanks!
 
Back
Top