• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hello, Dolly! [Plenty o Pics]

SidewinderX

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 30, 2004
Messages
2,645
I took some photos at my school's performance of Hello, Dolly this afternoon. Big thanks to everyone who commented in the "help" thread at Fred Miranda Forum. (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/188805)

Details: Pentax K1000, most of it was shot with the 70-210 f4, a few shots were taken with the 28-80 f3.5.

In all honesty, the shots look better developed, which is a good thing, IMO, because that means that I can get high quality enlargments straight from the negatives. Anyway, here are a few of the shots. I'm open to all suggestions in terms of post processing advice.

And, as always, Comments/Critiques/Kudos/Hatemail welcome.

Dolly and Vandergelder

dolly001_size.jpg


dolly014_size_filtered.jpg


Heellloooo Dolly!

dolly017_size.jpg


Minnie

dolly019_size.jpg


Vandergelder and Policeman

dolly027_size.jpg


dolly032_size.jpg



And of, course, I must give credit where credit is due!
http://www.dpetkofsky.com/photo/hello_dolly/dolly034_size.jpg

http://www.dpetkofsky.com/photo/hello_dolly/dolly035_size.jpg
 
The exposures look awesome. Did you use indoor film, a tungsten filter, or did the lab correct the color for you on the prints? Also good job of not blowing highlights -- not being able to review the pics and/or (in my case) not having a spot meter makes getting the expose right tough. :)

I liked the group shot with "Heellloooo Dolly!" and the last photo. If Minnie was framed so more of the space was used (ie more of the person) I think that would be a winner. The second photo I would have liked to see more of Dolly. But with film, I guess you can't quite blow through several frames to get the right moments. :)

Good job with your equipment. I wouldn't have thought F/4 would work so well in theater. I have pictures from my school's play here:

Gore Vidal - Visit to a Small Planet:
Act 1: http://www.timaxe.com/events/asp05_a1/
Act 2: http://www.timaxe.com/events/asp05_a2/
 
No, it was just regular film! On some of them I set a white spot in photoshop... but I really like how they came out on film. And I was suprised the the f4 worked fine as well!

Your photos are really nice! Was there lighting other than just the stage lighting?
 
I used a tiny bit of fill-flash. You can see it in the shadows (bluish) near the feet on some pictures.

I was at f/2.8, ISO 400, 1/160-1/200 for my pictures, using my 85mm prime lens. Mine are cropped a bit because I was back a ways, but I managed to fit most of the action into the frame because of that. For the most part I was shooting landscape the entire time, so the portrait ones are really just cropped that way. That's my horrible little secret with those play pictures :p :D

It would have been nice to zoom in/out (but I have no zoom lens), so with the prime I had to walk, and not everyone wanted me to be moving up front and clicking away so I could actually turn the camera 90 degrees to get better portrait pictures... :p
 
Back
Top