Hellgate: London

bunch of my TF2 guildmates are playing this game and i might join em. Funcom lowered the MSRP to $20 which makes this a steal. anyone currently playing or recently quit?

i know there's a free and pay version. i'm not opposed to monthly fees at all but would the free version be fun for someone loking for a casual secondary game? i mainly play TF2 semi-competitively along with other online FPS but enjoy RPGs and played WoW for almost 2 years. i know the main differences b/w the free and fee HGL versions, but if i'm only giving it my gaming scraps time, would the free version be OK and would i have fun without sacrificing my soul to Funcom and playing 40 hrs/week?

i played the demo and was kinda bored...i know its not the best online RPG out there, but for $20 total it cant be THAT bad, right? espeically since i have high lvl friends?

I wanted to LOVE Hellgate but I sold my copy two months ago.

That special 'something' just wasn't there.

TBH I would have to suggest buying Guild Wars over Hellgate London for $20. Once that you have seen the first level in Hellgate, you have seen it all unless you are willing to pay a monthly subscription.

Played in the beta. Canceled my preorder. Wanted to love it after the Diablo series (same developers), but just couldn't.

not that it matters. but Funcom isnt the publisher, EA and Namco are.
Oh yeah , and the game sucks, when i bought i I knoew it sucked but had hoped the devlopers would fix the crappy parts, but they didnt.

For 20 bucks it could be used to fill some time between games, having said that i was also disappointed in it and wouldn't buy it.

Whatever. I've been playing the game since it came out and I love it. For $20 it's a heck of a deal. You can get online and play with your buddies with no problem without paying monthly. If you paid (subscribed) you'd get more storage, more character slots, the ability to go into the few paid areas. I've been subscribed for the last 6 months and play the game almost every day. On the other hand, Guild Wars got boring for me after about 2 months. I got a few coworkers playing it and they like it almost as much as I do. It can be a lot of fun, though a little repetitive.

I'd say for $20 to give it a shot and see what you think. If you don't like it, you're not out much.

I've tried hard to love this game. I have several level 50's but I still have to agree that this games pretty crappy. And FSS are doing their damnedest finish to killing it off with a string of broken patches that are still continuing with the poor 2.0 beta patch on the test server which contains tons of game breaking issues that shouldn't have made it through the alpha stages.

Aside from that, xfire has been showing a major drop in population. The game stayed in the around 42 on the xfire charts for a good deal of the first half of this year. However the last couple of weeks have seen that dip down to 58-60. Would love to use the actual in-game numbers, but FSS disabled the ability to check that back in April, so the xfire numbers are the best I have to work with for now.

Bottom line: pass on this game.

I've tried hard to love this game. I have several level 50's but I still have to agree that this games pretty crappy. And FSS are doing their damnedest finish to killing it off with a string of broken patches that are still continuing with the poor 2.0 beta patch on the test server which contains tons of game breaking issues that shouldn't have made it through the alpha stages.

Aside from that, xfire has been showing a major drop in population. The game stayed in the around 42 on the xfire charts for a good deal of the first half of this year. However the last couple of weeks have seen that dip down to 58-60. Would love to use the actual in-game numbers, but FSS disabled the ability to check that back in April, so the xfire numbers are the best I have to work with for now.

Bottom line: pass on this game.

Agreed, fans of Diablo will just have to wait for Blizzard to release the real Diablo successor. I also forgot to mention that Mythos is a free game that is currently in BETA and I found it to be much more fun than Hellgate London.

Here is another voice saying don't bother wasting $20. You fight the same monsters from act 1 to act 5. The level design is the same throughout the entire game. There is no voice acting, not that it matters because the story makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Here is a snippet from what I think was a key moment in the gaming story....

"Light....is good....light.....is the way.....Find light.....Follow light....Light is good."

Take the stupid NPC's that act like its kiddy fun land mixed in with a complete lack of music and you have some atmosphere that has absolutely nothing to do with evil taking over the planet.

I disagree with most of the posters. For $20 its a good diversion. I wouldn't in any stretch say it will be your primary game. Hellgate does have some good points:
Good graphics
Lots of Loot to be had
Lots of weapon customization and mods
Random level design
No monthly fee

However I would have to say the biggest drawback is that most of the levels look pretty similar. Its either a subway or a bombed out street area. There are a couple variations like a museum or a dried out Thames river but yea.

I wanted to LOVE Hellgate but I sold my copy two months ago.

That special 'something' just wasn't there.

Same here, I wanted to love it, I bought the collectors edition (70 bucks wasted). Your right though all the while I was playing it I felt like something was missing.

i played the demo and was kinda bored...i know its not the best online RPG out there, but for $20 total it cant be THAT bad, right? espeically since i have high lvl friends?

It is worth it for 20 bucks. The actual game is much better than the demo. Also there are many criticizing it that played it when it first came out. I did the same but the game has improved since then.

It is worth it for 20 bucks. The actual game is much better than the demo. Also there are many criticizing it that played it when it first came out. I did the same but the game has improved since then.

Can you tell us what has improved?

There would have to be some major improvements for me to reconsider things.

The demo is basically the entire core game. Unless you want to pay $10 a month for a little sandbox area to kill monsters, the core game is the demox5

Um, what?

The demo is the intro area, one station and two explorable areas. That's it. While the gameplay stays similar, adding new skills, weapons, armor and the ability to gain more loot changes the game quite a bit over the demo. If you enjoy going on quests, killing monsters and mostly getting more and better loot, then the game is definitely worth $20. You can play online all you'd like and not pay a dime. You only have to subscribe if you want extra character slots, extra storage and such. You don't have to pay anything at all after buying the game unless you want to.

The game is a lot more stable and little tweaks have been made to gameplay since it was released. Plus they've added an in game mail system, a subscriber only area, etc. The game still lacks in the storyline area and it is quite repetitive, but I also find it to be fun, even after playing it for the last 6+ months.

Friend got it and we played on his PC for 3 hours. First 10 minutes were fun, then it began getting lame. We played for another 2 hours in hopes to see something new or improvements, nada. Game is total shit, not worth $5 even.

Um, what?

The demo is the intro area, one station and two explorable areas. That's it. While the gameplay stays similar, adding new skills, weapons, armor and the ability to gain more loot changes the game quite a bit over the demo. If you enjoy going on quests, killing monsters and mostly getting more and better loot, then the game is definitely worth $20. You can play online all you'd like and not pay a dime. You only have to subscribe if you want extra character slots, extra storage and such. You don't have to pay anything at all after buying the game unless you want to.

The game is a lot more stable and little tweaks have been made to gameplay since it was released. Plus they've added an in game mail system, a subscriber only area, etc. The game still lacks in the storyline area and it is quite repetitive, but I also find it to be fun, even after playing it for the last 6+ months.

What he means is that all of the core gameplay mechanics, textures, npc's, monsters, etc...... are all in the demo and stay the same throughout the game. Once that you have been through one subway area, you have seen it all pretty much. The PVP is pretty much a joke and making character builds is a joke too because the skill tree's are all messed up. So theres really no point or motivation to go through the game once you have finished Act 1.

I like it a lot. It's not the best game of its type ever, but it looks pretty good, it plays like pretty much any other Diablo-type game, etc. It's definitely worth $20. I also have no regrets about paying full price when I bought it. It has its odd flaws here or there, but it's fun overall. I read a lot of people who won't play it after being disappointed during beta. That's just ridiculous. I usually base my opinions on a complete product, not to mention the billion updates it's had since. I'd say give it a try.

What he means is that all of the core gameplay mechanics, textures, npc's, monsters, etc...... are all in the demo and stay the same throughout the game. Once that you have been through one subway area, you have seen it all pretty much. The PVP is pretty much a joke and making character builds is a joke too because the skill tree's are all messed up. So theres really no point or motivation to go through the game once you have finished Act 1.

That's not true. You have one outdoor city area (two counting the intro) and an indoor area. After the demo you get more areas, though most of them are alike. They're not the same though. Also, the demo had what, a few zombies and hellmeats? You get a lot more enemies after that, including many types of beasts, demons, skeletons, spectrals and bosses. Not to mention there's a ton of loot. If PVP and builds is what you want, go play an MMO. Hellgate is more of an action RPG that happens to have online elements. If you like killing stuff and getting loot, it's certainly worth $20. I paid full price for myself and my son when it came out, plus I paid for a 6 month subsciption for each of us as well and feel it's been well worth it.

if your going to be playing with friends then ya its worht the $20, I found this game 10x more entertaining playing with friends tham I did solo.

With that being said I though the game had promise and if it want so buggy it would be alot better, I really liek the marksman and the whole fps/mmo idea.

Back