Helix on Ebay, how come?

Hmm, tempted. $2150 for this is about what I was expecting for the fully upgraded version, i7, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD which isn't bad for what this is I think. It's possible that these things are just starting to trickle out and these guys got some before general release.
 
Look at the shipping date (it's in April). You're not actually going to get it until Lenovo officially releases it; the seller is just hoping to sucker someone into overpaying.
 
Last edited:
the helix is an intriguing notebook/tablet that is for sure!

I just dont like the non replaceable battery (since it is a tablet) meaning 2 years from now its battery life will suck
 
the helix is an intriguing notebook/tablet that is for sure!

I just dont like the non replaceable battery (since it is a tablet) meaning 2 years from now its battery life will suck
If you've got $2k to spend on a bleeding edge convertablet, then 2 years from now you'll probably have the $1k for a 3rd gen x86 tab with 1/2 the power draw and 1.5x the battery capacity...
 
really i get

"<h1>You are not authorized to view this page.</h1><br><br>Service not initialized."


interesting, i tried it on chrome and i get that error but on IE it works. Strange!
 
well I decided not to wait on the helix and rather bought a x230t multitouch with i7 and will add 16gb of RAM and a Samsung 840 pro, intel 520 or Kingston v300 200+ gb SSD ..... and i was also thinking of adding another 200+ gb SSD to the mSATA slot.

I bought the ultrabase and the slice battery and I think I will add a 1TB drive to the ultrabase, i just wish the ultrabase had the slice battery in it.

I like the idea of the helix but the flexibility to swap different batteries and increase storage capacity is just something I am not ready to give up just yet.

Ill sacrifice weight and size for flexibility at this point
 
well I decided not to wait on the helix and rather bought a x230t multitouch with i7 and will add 16gb of RAM and a Samsung 840 pro, intel 520 or Kingston v300 200+ gb SSD ..... and i was also thinking of adding another 200+ gb SSD to the mSATA slot.

I bought the ultrabase and the slice battery and I think I will add a 1TB drive to the ultrabase, i just wish the ultrabase had the slice battery in it.

I like the idea of the helix but the flexibility to swap different batteries and increase storage capacity is just something I am not ready to give up just yet.

Ill sacrifice weight and size for flexibility at this point

yeah well what you are doing to that x230t cant even be dreamed of on the helix.Light weight, detachable screen, thin, great battery life versus fast workhorse with massive storage. To be honest x230t is not that much bigger than helix if you are thinking in engineering, enterprise, design sense. i mean it is ok to have some bulk with you if you are going to work. The cool factor of helix comes to play for people who are exta mobile like constantly flying and do most of their work by dumping their thought and ideas on paper using a word processor. No matter how much i like it, with that little storage Helix is not going to be a geeat option for me.
 
No matter how much i like it, with that little storage Helix is not going to be a geeat option for me.

You can get up to 256 GB of storage on the Helix and with an SD card that's 300 GB total. That's plenty for most folks but sure, the more the merrier.
 
I have FPGA simulations that take about 150gb and growing. Cloud is not an option unless Lenovo wants to throw in a 100/100 lifetime mobile internet plan. So yes for anything else 300 is enough and my situation is very specific.
 
just got my x230t today and it has an intel 128gb SSD, but i will replace it with a 840 pro 256gb and an msata drive .

I have to say that with W8 on it, it is fantastic.

Mine is the i7 with 16gb RAM and 128gb SSD.

even running sony vegas for video editing the i7 does well. It can't render 1080p on the fly with mutliple effects, transitions and layers or anything.... but, it does well.

i will be interested in the helix when it does come out but ill be waiting for a couple generations before purchasing.
 
Hi,

I joined to notify people that the ebay listing is legit. I received my Helix through ebay user dzik100 on Friday. He was even able to upgrade my warranty at a cheaper rate! The Helix is a wonderful machine. You can see my review for dzik1000 under ebay user godfather3283. So glad I ordered from him, since it's looking like it may be June before they get actually delivered from their site.:( And those delivery dates are automated by ebay they go up everyday. He will notify u when its gonna ship.
 
How does he explain that he manages to get a hold of them before the actual Lenovo store? With what authority does he extend your warranty?
 
He's an authorized Lenovo reseller. Lenovo sends it to resellers first before general population. And he can easily set an order to extend warranty with his reseller status.
 
He's an authorized Lenovo reseller. Lenovo sends it to resellers first before general population. And he can easily set an order to extend warranty with his reseller status.

If that is true that it is one of the dumbest business practices I have ever seen. Lenovo basically lets resellers sell their computers at a premium although they are themselves a couple months behind on their own prduct launch date. When you are 2 friggin months behind on your promised dates on almost all your new products your priority should be the customer not the overpriced ebay re sellers who take advantage of the market and Lenovo's lack of ability to deliver product.
 
When you are 2 friggin months behind on your promised dates on almost all your new products your priority should be the customer

It is. That's why they sell the limited initial stock directly to resellers. If they didn't do it that way, the products would take even longer to enter the general retail chain, which ends up pissing off both consumers and resellers. If you absolutely must have the product now when there is extremely limited stock, it makes sense that you pay more for it. The alternative would have been Lenovo sitting on the units for another couple months until there's sufficient stock.
 
It is. That's why they sell the limited initial stock directly to resellers. If they didn't do it that way, the products would take even longer to enter the general retail chain, which ends up pissing off both consumers and resellers. If you absolutely must have the product now when there is extremely limited stock, it makes sense that you pay more for it. The alternative would have been Lenovo sitting on the units for another couple months until there's sufficient stock.

We both know that most of this is a marketing gimmick. It is like the government saying there is not enough gas for everyone so we are going to give the limited stock that we have to 3rd party resellers so people who immediately need gas and have money can pay through the nose and screw the people who need gas but are looking to pay retail or even want a discount. We do this for the good of the people because we put them first. lol ok
 
We both know that most of this is a marketing gimmick. It is like the government saying there is not enough gas for everyone so we are going to give the limited stock that we have to 3rd party resellers so people who immediately need gas and have money can pay through the nose and screw the people who need gas but are looking to pay retail or even want a discount. We do this for the good of the people because we put them first. lol ok

I don't think that's what's going on here. It's months behind Lenovo's original stated delivery date. Stock is severely constrained. It's better to have those models enter the retail channel so people can touch them and interact with them before deciding if they want to buy. It's better to have stores stock them so Lenovo can at least start promoting them with floor models until stock ramps up. Apple did the same thing with the latest iMac: pushed out a huge stock to retail stores and partners like Best Buy for them to use as floor models even though the stock was severely constrained. If you are looking to pay retail or you want a discount, just wait while the supply chain ramps up a bit. It shouldn't be hard to find one for retail price in a few weeks.
 
I have model 3698 which has 250 gb ssd, 8 gb of ram, nfc capabilities, and i7 3667U core processor. It runs as smooth as butter. No 4g. I just tether with my cell phone for the mobile broadband.
 
Back
Top