HEEELP (I hate rubber grommits)

malingjc

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all. I've been trying extremely hard for 4 days to get this...

Picture 003sm.jpg

...stupid window into my side panel of my Antec Minuet case. I can get the grommit on there, but once I try to put the window in, it either pops out or the rubber grommit decides to tear.

I've tried everything. Putting the window while the grommit is on the side panel, tried leading it through with a screwdriver, tried putting the grommit in half way and putting the window in and squeezing the rubber between the window and case.

I got it on once, then found that the locking strip doesn't want to lock.

Is there anything I need to know to get this to work right or is there anyone in Pittsburgh who would make an offer to do it?

did you buy the window as a kit?
did you follow the instructions for the hole size?
most of the kits i have put in the hole is about 1/4 inch bigger the the window

Originally posted by blindviper
did you buy the window as a kit?
did you follow the instructions for the hole size?
most of the kits i have put in the hole is about 1/4 inch bigger the the window

Yes and yes, the first cut I was a little close so I made it bigger, it still doesn't want to fit right. I figure I'm going to get a third kit (which costs me $6 heh) and use the rubber from that and try again because the rubber started to fall apart already on the second.

Originally posted by paceman
http://www.koolpcmods.com/moldings.htm

This is what you want right!

That U-stype molding can be picked up at any car auto-parts place like Auto-Zone, O'Rylies, CarQuest. Its called "Automotive Door Edge Molding". Its used normally to protect the edge of your car door from hitting somethign and chipping when opening your door next to a closly parked car or wall. Its $3.50 at one of those autoparts stores for two 27 inch peices. Its what I used for my $5 window mod seen on twistedmods.com

I had a bitch of a time getting the molding installed when I did my window. I finally ended up using some super glue to hold it in place, gluing a few inches and holding until it set, then moving on. I found a bottle of super glue that had an applicator brush at Wal-Mart, that helped immensely.

Why even use moulding? Cut a nica hole, and double stick tape the window to the back side of the case. If ya wanna get frisky you can even try and flush mount it this way.

Haha, something useful from back in my bong-making days!

Use windex on the rubber. It keeps it from tearing and makes it really maleable. It dries quick and leaves no residue. I've never tried it with a grommet that big, but it works great on the standard little ones. You can't get a tighter seal without using some kind of glue. (Nothing like growing up in a small town near Canada to introduce you to the intricacies of bong-engineering.)

That sounds good.

Are you taking about bong coolers
or smoking utensiles? Whats wrong with a tin can? lol

Heh. Turns out that the guy who used to work in my position at best buy does this stuff. He was promoted to supervisor to another store in pittsburgh. I'm going to let their techs play with it so if they screw it up, it's their fault..heh. I told them I'd give them $20 for it and he was like 'cool, we'll do it!'. I was like sure, I'll be there tomorrow :p

I'm just so sick of screwin with it so they can just do it, as long as I get my window to show off my new 4" red CCs :D

Yep Nigel, I did call you, you big hunk.

Bill put in in for me and did a completely kick ass job. You can commend him further for me. I'll get you a picture once I get a chance.

I'm still working on my neighbor's brand new computer heh.

Back