Heatsinks for Supermicro 4P and KGPE-D16

knopflerbruce

Limp Gawd
Just curious, do I need to add sinks to any other chips than the VRMs? Tried to benchmark my 6100 ES'es on the KGPE, and boy the VRMs got hot just from running wprime 1024m for a minute, at 1.4v vcore. Thinking about buying a pair of the enzotech sinks and a kit of tall sinks with a smaller, square base (seems like two of the VRMs are not placed along the same line as the rest). Would be rgeat if someone could grab a photo and mark the chips that need some special attention. I'll run everything water cooled, so not much airflow from CPU fans.

I would also like to hear of some heatsinking options for the VRMs on the SM motherboards we are using. Air, H2O or otherwise.
My 6180s are staying cool, below 49C, and ht-retries are zero but the VRMs are steaming hot, especially the ones that would normally be sitting directly in front of the loud server chassis fans that I have removed in favor of 212s.
I re-populated a couple of screamer fans that blow directly on these particular VRMs and was able to fold stable with an OC 4% higher than without but could not stand the noise.

Just curious but what clocks are you trying to run that you need 1.4v vcore

Depending on your situation why not look into a way to secure a 80mm+ fan and use that to cool the vrm's?

Depending on your situation why not look into a way to secure a 80mm+ fan and use that to cool the vrm's?
In my setups, there just isn't enough room to add a decently quiet fan that can focus the air flow to that small area.
Plus, I would like to get as much of the heat "away" from that part of the MB altogether due to the fact they are so close to the 212s on the CPUs.

I have added these onto my VRMs on the H8QGi-F boards. Most likely not needed, but it can not hurt. Newegg Link
Those look nice but a pretty pricy! Milled copper isn't cheap I suppose ;)
Are they a good footprint match for a single VRM chip or does one cover more than one VRM?

Edit: Just realized that's a multi-pack. So not so pricy after all.....:eek:

Last edited:
Well I have a novel ( in my mind :) )VRM cooling idea I'm going to experiment with over the next week.
Parts are on order and results will be reported.
Now, where can I purchase a decent temperature gun at a reasonable price?
Since there appears to be no SW method for reading VRM temps.

I'm not running and OC on either of my 4Ps (Tyan and SuperMicro) or the ASUS 2P.........

Exactly. When I run at stock, everything is fine, especially with the 212s.
But I'm here at [H] to learn to push the limits on my rigs.
Thus the experimentation continues .......... ;)

Just another data point, I have my boards mounted in tower cases. Without the side fans on, I could only make a few hours before system crash. I don't think the CPU coolers/speed/temp has a lot to do with keeping the VRMs cool.

Well I have a novel ( in my mind :) )VRM cooling idea I'm going to experiment with over the next week.
Parts are on order and results will be reported.
Now, where can I purchase a decent temperature gun at a reasonable price?
Since there appears to be no SW method for reading VRM temps.

Hi Core32,

I purchased this, I think it was the recommended one in the guide. Kintrex IRT0421 Seems to work well about $45.00 at Amazon, I do not have anything to compare with it, so I assume it's accurate.

Looking at my SMH8QGi+-F motherboard, is there only 1 VRM? Is it the gold looking surface mount by the model number? If not, where is it or they located? I would be very interested in the VRM cooling when you are finished. Do these boards require better cooling on the "Northbridge"? Starting to get a handle on the ES chip tuning, thanks to tear. Best regards, Charlie

Anyone have the manufacturer and part # for the VRMs on the SMH8Q... SuperMicro MBs?

Anyone have the manufacturer and part # for the VRMs on the SMH8Q... SuperMicro MBs?

No, but I believe the Vitec inductors are located next to the board edge and the CPU's Vitec 59PR63N-121 The 59 is not on the chip. These are in series of the control and phase IC.
Best regards, Charlie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enzotech-MO...US_Memory_Chipset_Cooling&hash=item4cff5367d9 - these could also be used I suppose.

I was benching it for HWBot, hence the 1.4v :p This was on air, temps reaching the 70's, so I wonder what will happen when I get my brackets in good, working condition this sunday or monday.

.... I see that... looks like I need to run that again... by air you mean LN2 ...
http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2311193_knopflerbruce_wprime_1024m_2x_opteron_6164_he_58sec_609ms/

cmon buddy got to push higher than that with LN2

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back