Heatsink pulls out processor when removing!

bigsnyder

Gawd
Heatsink pulls processor out of socket (s939) when removing. Anyone else have
this problem? Even after the fact, the processor still sticks quite tightly to the
heatsink. I use GC Electronic's Type 44 Heat Sink Compound and never had this
problem with other setups. Either the consistency of the compound is creating an
extremely tight seal, or my socket is worn. The socket does seem suspect. If
anyone else has feedback to share, please do so.

Cameron

Make sure to take off the heatsink while it is still warm - if it is cold, heat it up with a hair dryer or something. When you take it off - wiggle the heatsink back and forth for a few seconds, then pull up.

I thought it was, but maybe not warm enough with cpu mostly at idle. I will try stressing
it first to get temps up. Thanks for the tip.

twist a bunch and lift gently, it'll come off without issue. never force it, you'll just end up bending the pins :(

This is normal mistake that happens quite often. You can easily avoid this by twisting sliding the heatsink out instead of trying to pull it straight out.

If your pins bend, just use a blow dryer to warm up the pins, and then softly straighten them out.

Your CPU is okay.

This is normal mistake that happens quite often. You can easily avoid this by twisting sliding the heatsink out instead of trying to pull it straight out.

If your pins bend, just use a blow dryer to warm up the pins, and then softly straighten them out.

Your CPU is okay.

Somehow i dont think that little amount of heat a blow dryer puts out will help the pins bend easier ;)

that's happened to me on a couple computers, and they still work just fine. make sure none of the pins were bent and that the CPU still sits in the socket just fine and you should be good.

I've had this problem many times. I just make sure that if it feels like the processor is going to come out, that I pull straight up and not an an angle to keep from bending the pins.

Learned from all the systems I have worked on, you have to unclip the HS, then twist it from side to side and then start gently lifting while twisting, should then come off before ripping the CPU out with it. Sometimes the paste gets baked to the chip and acts like glue.

Back