Heatsink needed on power MOSFETS/VRM/circuitry?

Zxaeon

n00b
Hi guys,

I'll be getting an MSI H61M-P21 (B3) mainboard soon as part of my upgrade. I won't be doing ANY overclocking on anything at all - none at all. It gets pretty hot here in Summer, with some days over 40c/104F. This house doesn't have an air conditioner so the house gets pretty hot in Summer. I wil be playing a lot of games, everything from high end to basic.

So I as wondering, given the above info, whether the lack of heatsinks on the power MOSFETS / VRM / circuitry will be a problem? For what it's worth, on my old system, my back then high end board in 2003 (P4C800-E Deluxe) didn't have any heatsinks on the power either and that was fine running my P4 3.0GHz.

For reference, here is the board I am getting:

http://au.msi.com/product/mb/H61M-P21--B3-.html

Thanks for help and advice.

Last edited:
with no overclock you should be fine. The only issue is if you load the cpu up. You may be able to dissipate some of the heat on the mofsets with aftermarket fins if your temps get too high but as long as you have airflow from your case fan you should be fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708012
on a purely engineering angle, anything with fins is miles better then the strait tap of a mosfet

What CPU?

I can try to run some tests on my H61M-E33/2500k combo. I'll have to find my infrared temp sensor as I'm not sure this board reports VRM temp.. don't remember. Not sure I'd be able to get to this until tomorrow night.

What CPU?

I can try to run some tests on my H61M-E33/2500k combo. I'll have to find my infrared temp sensor as I'm not sure this board reports VRM temp.. don't remember. Not sure I'd be able to get to this until tomorrow night.

I will be using a Core i5 2500 (non K)

Without Overclocking it might be fine. It is true early motherboards does not hae heatsink on MOSFET and were running well. Even now most 1U servers does not have heatsinks on MOSFET and are working more than stable.

I don't think heatsinks will help at all because you have 6-phase power and never need more than about 95W, but if you decide to install heatsinks, glue them on with silicone rubber sealant because it sticks well and conducts heat better than thermal tape, yet the heatsinks will be easy to remove by slicing through the rubber with a thin razor, which can be good if you ever need warranty service.

Back