Heatsink for AMD 5000+ BE

AMDXP

2[H]4U
Hello, I am purchasing an AMD Black Edition for my budget build and need a good, but relatively inexpensive heatsink about 20-40 U.S. Dollars.

Maybe some mild overclocking, but not too much!

:p

I like my Freezer 64, but with the Xigmatek being that cheap and a better overall heatsink, I'd go with it.

BTW, my phenom 9600 OC to 2.8gh does not go over 45C fully loaded. using the S1283, really any of the ones listed are good, I just like this one for the price performance

That's easy bro.

Artic Freezer 64. IME and imvho it's the best HSF on the planet for the AMD chips @ the price point....period. The included Thermal Paste is their own stuff which many consider better then Artic Silver 5.

I'm running it as I type and it's keeping my 5000+ BE cold @ 3.1ghz and it still wouldn't crack 45c @ full load when I was pushing it over 3.6ghz.

It seems like the egg lowers and raises their price on it everyday, but it's worth whatever you pay from any local or online dealer.

Cork1, I have the Arctic 64 with the same 5000BE, and my temps are higher. I had a bit of a problem installing the heatsink due to the tight space and my noobish, and spread the compund around a bit too much maybe, running 3.0 at 28c to 30c idle, 49C max under load with ambient fairly high.

OC to 3.1, and my temps go to 55c under load.

Should I clean paste off and reseat with AS5?

Cork1, I have the Arctic 64 with the same 5000BE, and my temps are higher. I had a bit of a problem installing the heatsink due to the tight space and my noobish, and spread the compund around a bit too much maybe, running 3.0 at 28c to 30c idle, 49C max under load with ambient fairly high.

OC to 3.1, and my temps go to 55c under load.

Should I clean paste off and reseat with AS5?

Hey bro,

I don't know what Amd's thermal specs are for said chip. Assuming accurate readings and FULL load, I'm sure that 55c is perfectly fine. I've seen older Amd and Intel chips that get up 69c @ full load. That might start to cook the 5000+ though. IME over the years, amateurs and pros alike are WAY to anal and concerned about have unrealistically low CPU temps.

I don't like Artic Silver TIM(Thermal Interface Material) anymore. It's all fine and dandy but their's better out their IME. It has to fully *cure* which takes a while and it's conductive. It's not that common but people do accidently fry sh*t with condutive TIM's.

Keep in mind that the ambient temp of your case will affect CPU and mileage wil vary from hardware to hardware. I don't consider the AF 64 an extreme Air Cooler by any means but I'm VERY impressed relative to the price.

If you wanna remove your TIM and reapply........I'd highly reco the Artic Silver Cleaning kit. I buy it @ my Local PC store for $10.00+ tax(follow the directions on their website if you need it...couldn't be easier). It works great and It'll last till I'm 38(28 now..lol). I'd either buy the Ocz TIM which is kick ass IME or the Artic Freezer stuff. Both kick ass IME and are non conductive.

I never use more a blob of Thermal Paste bigger then two short grains of rice(don't apply with your fingers...use a glove....finger oil..hehe) and especially if I have a HSF that has a perfect mirror finish.

FYI.......Don't shim your CPU....that's for crazy kids.

If you don't get the results you want after reapply TIM, Increase your case airflow and/or upgrade to a truly extreme Air cooler like the Zalman 9700 led.

Thanks Cork, I think I will leave well enough alone for now, my temps are not really that bad. In fact, a lot better than what I have read from others. Can't go wrong for $20 and free shipping when it went on sale.

I to am impressed with this cooler

[H]exx;1032747350 said:
Cork1,

The highest the 5000 BE will take for heat is 70C IIRC.

Hey bro............I'll keep that in mind when I push his thing to 3.95ghz this week.

I got the 5000+ with a Free Antec SopranoRS 101 case(which I'm using and actually like) for $95.00 shipped. Best deal I ever got for pc parts since I bought my GeForece 3 Ti200 from Bestbuy @ 6am years ago......lol.

Peace

heh... the 5000+ BE runs so damn cool that just about anything will work on it. I know people that have put a stock AM2 HSF on and it's fine and dandy even OC'd a bit. I put a Scythe "Andy" Samurai on mine mainly because the 120mm fan was nice and quiet. I'm running it at 3.0Ghz and it' rarely gets over 30°C and I fold 24/7 so both cores are always at 100%. Gone are the days of massive airflow and delta fans... "weeeeeeeee".

heh... the 5000+ BE runs so damn cool that just about anything will work on it. I know people that have put a stock AM2 HSF on and it's fine and dandy even OC'd a bit. I put a Scythe "Andy" Samurai on mine mainly because the 120mm fan was nice and quiet. I'm running it at 3.0Ghz and it' rarely gets over 30°C and I fold 24/7 so both cores are always at 100%. Gone are the days of massive airflow and delta fans... "weeeeeeeee".

The stock cooler for my 4600+ looks alot like my old Globalwin FOP-32 which was designed for the first Socket A CPUs. I wouldn't trust it on anything today especially a CPU designed for overclocking. I am sure one of the heatpipe coolers that come with some X2 CPUs would be fine however.

The stock cooler for my 4600+ looks alot like my old Globalwin FOP-32 which was designed for the first Socket A CPUs. I wouldn't trust it on anything today especially a CPU designed for overclocking. I am sure one of the heatpipe coolers that come with some X2 CPUs would be fine however.

actually those are pretty nice, they sent one with my 9600, I should be able to ebay it for 20 bucks or so.

Back