Heatsink final height

honegod

[H]F Junkie
Ducting the CPU HS seems right.
to build the duct right I figure I need to have a CPU in the socket, so the HS is in exactly the right place.
No way am I going to use my new CPU for this.

Is my assumption, that the socket protective cover would space the HS up more than a CPU, silly ?

tenor.png

Yes, theres a difference between a cooler mounted agaisn't the socket retention bracket versus the CPU internal heatsink of couple of mm.. however not enough of a difference when building a duct for clean/cold air for it, as the RAM height should be taken in consideration first, couple of extra or less mm in the CPU IHS won't change the cooling performance once ducted, just measure from the RAM to the case side panel and you will be fine.

This is very 2010.
There are still places to buy the parts needed, basically a dryer vent and an adapter. You could even find a completed part ready to install like this. Some cases used to come with them installed (I have a corsair case with one,) don't know if any still have them. The one I had was more problems then it was worth, the amount of dust it would suck in would negate any temp benefit unless I cleaned the case/hs every few weeks. I never overclocked with that particular case/pc so it wasn't a big deal to have it or remove it.

Last time I built a computer, Windows XP had just come out.
I took an old full tower and stuck a hunky air filter on the side of the case with two insanely huge 120mm fans pumping filtered air into the case.

Times have changed, my new build is a ITX in a lian li tiny case.
Mounted atop a huge air filter assembly, with integrated blower.

The idea being a sealed, pressurised case with ducting from psu, hdds, gpu & cpu to the outside,my apartment.

So the cleaner and more accurate the ducting is the less power my filter fan will need to force air through the case.

Back