Heatsink fan air directional flow, onto chip or away from?

DarkStryke

[H]ard|Gawd
Just noticed something as I was messing around with my fans, my panaflow's directional push is opposite that of my case fans and my ystek 120's. Right now it's sucking air from the cpu, should I just turn it over and have air blowing onto it?

i assume you mean the fan on the heatsink itself, you want that sucking OFF. if it blows on, theres a hole in the center (right over the die no less) where theres no airflow.

Originally posted by kronchev
i assume you mean the fan on the heatsink itself, you want that sucking OFF. if it blows on, theres a hole in the center (right over the die no less) where theres no airflow.

Um.... NO.

It doesn't matter which way the fan is blowing, there will always be a "dead" spot right above/below the fan hub. Making the fan suck or blow air over a heatsink will not change this.

On a traditional heatsink it is usually best to BLOW air onto it, forcing air into every possible place where it can dissapate heat in greater ammounts. Forcing the air into the heatsink also means that there is no wasted air flowing through the fan, meaning that all possible cool air can get into the heatsink, and down to the base. Making a fan pull air from the heatsink will not only get the hot air from the heatsink, but from the cooler air surrounding the heatsink that gets sucked in from the surrounding space, and less air from the bottom of the heatsink where the most heat is absorbed.

I think Kronchev is getting confused because he was advised to make the fan on his radiator pull air through it because pulling creates less turbluance (and noise) and when combined with a shroud, you effectivly eliminate the deadspot and makes cooling much more effecient than pushing air through the high resistance that is a radiator.

-OMP

Record temps with setup as is.

Flip fan.

Record temps with setup with flipped fan.

Report back your findings.

Stick with what cools most.

Originally posted by OneMadPoptart
Um.... NO.

It doesn't matter which way the fan is blowing, there will always be a "dead" spot right above/below the fan hub. Making the fan suck or blow air over a heatsink will not change this.

On a traditional heatsink it is usually best to BLOW air onto it, forcing air into every possible place where it can dissapate heat in greater ammounts. Forcing the air into the heatsink also means that there is no wasted air flowing through the fan, meaning that all possible cool air can get into the heatsink, and down to the base. Making a fan pull air from the heatsink will not only get the hot air from the heatsink, but from the cooler air surrounding the heatsink that gets sucked in from the surrounding space, and less air from the bottom of the heatsink where the most heat is absorbed.

I think Kronchev is getting confused because he was advised to make the fan on his radiator pull air through it because pulling creates less turbluance (and noise) and when combined with a shroud, you effectivly eliminate the deadspot and makes cooling much more effecient than pushing air through the high resistance that is a radiator.

-OMP

sucking off the fan worked best for me when I had heatsinks...

Depends on the heatsink and fan. Mine didn't cool as well when I switched the heatsink fan to pull.

I think the only way to settle this is to DO BOTH, wait a week, and whichever gives you better average temps, go with it.

Yeah, have to agree with AggieMEEN, just record which way is the best and keep it that way. depending on the HS, you might have to make a shroud around the top part of the HS if you are going to flip the fan around. I think I want to try that when I get home with my Aeroflow and see if it performs any better ;-)

Back