Heatsink compatibility

rudy

[H]F Junkie
OK I bought an i5 8600k and I didn't realize that what appeared to be a retail cpu didn't come with a heatsink. So the question is, what heatsink standard are these CPUs using? Is there any possibility any of my 1366 socket or i5 2600k heatsinks will work?

What other CPU sockets have compatible heatsinks? I might be able to dig a stock cooler up from a friend.

OK I bought an i5 8600k and I didn't realize that what appeared to be a retail cpu didn't come with a heatsink. So the question is, what heatsink standard are these CPUs using? Is there any possibility any of my 1366 socket or i5 2600k heatsinks will work?

What other CPU sockets have compatible heatsinks? I might be able to dig a stock cooler up from a friend.
I believe the 2600k cooler will fit it may be crooked but work

K no longer come with hsf

Thanks I got it working, and wow they are really ripping us off for K series now, they used to be $20 more expensive and otherwise the same now they are skipping the heatsink and feels like they are nearly $80 more expensive.

Thanks I got it working, and wow they are really ripping us off for K series now, they used to be $20 more expensive and otherwise the same now they are skipping the heatsink and feels like they are nearly $80 more expensive.

Even the used chip market is high. 6700/K, and 7700'S are going for well over $200.

The assumption is that overclockers won't want to use a stock cooler anyway. The stock-style coolers would also be less effective as turbo clocks become more aggressive and actual TDP's soar; in the SB days a 95W-rated processor drew like 80W stock; now between AVX2 and MCE, the 95W-rated processors usually draw 120W out of the box.

No K series anything comes with a HSF. That's because Intel knows your just scrap thier shit for something that works.

The assumption is that overclockers won't want to use a stock cooler anyway. The stock-style coolers would also be less effective as turbo clocks become more aggressive and actual TDP's soar; in the SB days a 95W-rated processor drew like 80W stock; now between AVX2 and MCE, the 95W-rated processors usually draw 120W out of the box.

TDPs cant soar.

TDP is a fixed value. You just override the thermal DESIGN power via bios and a hopefully adequate cooling solution. But you literally are OVER thermalling the CPU. A really effecient cooler is what provides you safety from destruction or built in thermal throttling. In bios we can tell a chip to ignore its throttle point to our detriment. I have mine set at 90c because even though my 7820x has a 140 watt TDP my chip can easily pull 250 or more watts at a high OC and load. But the chip was DESIGNED to cope with 140 watts max under its factory intended environment hence the kind Dell or HP or any manufacturer must regard. Not the end user.

We really need to get our terminology right on this forum. This TDP misnomer has been going on and wrong for an awfully long time.

Last edited:
TDPs cant soar.

TDP is a fixed value. You just override the thermal DESIGN power via bios and a hopefully adequate cooling solution. But you literally are OVER thermalling the CPU. A really effecient cooler is what provides you safety from destruction or built in thermal throttling. In bios we can tell a chip to ignore its throttle point to our detriment. I have mine set at 90c because even though my 7820x has a 140 watt TDP my chip can easily pull 250 or more watts at a high OC and load. But the chip was DESIGNED to cope with 140 watts max under its factory intended environment hence the kind Dell or HP or any manufacturer must regard. Not the end user.

We really need to get our terminology right on this forum. This TDP misnomer has been going on and wrong for an awfully long time.

The problem (or feature) is in the board, not the chip. Because turbo is so configurable on a K-series processor (almost every factory limit can be overridden), the actual power dissipated by the chip varies wildly, and even the "safe" settings on most enthusiast boards are overly aggressive in an effort to push for top review scores.
It's actually quite frustrating; the optimized defaults on a board used to be a sound baseline to guide an overclock - you could tell a lot from the temperature readings and a watt meter. This generation the situation is much worse; between AVX and MCE who knows what an 8700K, let alone an X-series chip, is supposed to do at stock?

No K series anything comes with a HSF. That's because Intel knows your just scrap thier shit for something that works.

Ya but I did pay a premium and actually I run a lot of K series on stock CPUS, I buy K for the easy OC and future proofing not necessarily for the ability to get a max OC. IME the stock cooler and voltage is still plenty enough for the free OC. Ultimately it doesn't matter I have enough old ones laying around but still a little miffed I paid a premium for a retail CPU and they just pocketed the extra $5 for the cooler.

Back