Heatshrink?

DeathMan

Gawd
I have a bunch of cables that need heatshrinking... the hair dryer isn't cutting it anymore. would using a soldering iron work? it may sound crazy, but the heatshrink doesn't seem to get burned/melt from it... is this a sensible idea?

They have heat guns at stores (my local wal mart even has one) for a bout 20 bucks that should suit your needs better than a hair dryer. My mechanic father in law has to use heatshrink on car wiring sometimes and they use heat guns (although they may be more powerful than those low end ones)

I use a hot air gun. I found a nice one at Fry's a couple years back for about $25, and it works great. (I also need it for removing vinyl decals from the race car.)

I use the tip of my soldering iron...just don't let the heatshrink touch or it tends to melt to the iron.

I use a heat gun. I play hockey, so I've always had one around the house to remove the blades from my cf/aluminum sticks. Its works 10x better than using a lighter or blow dryer.

I just use my zippo.

any other lighter would work, but it doesnt look as impressive :p

wesquaz said:
I just use my zippo.

any other lighter would work, but it doesnt look as impressive :p

Right, The zippo is the best thing to use, just keep the part moving so you dont melt the heatshrink. See any soot? you probably will, just wipe it off with your fingers.

I wouldn't say it is the best thing to use, the most ideal is a heat gun or a torch.

I have a bernzomatic 6 in one soldering iron, heat blower, micro torch, blah blah blah. works well for heat shrink.

Back