Heatpipes upside down?

KD5ZXG

Gawd
I notice my (easily overheated XFX RS) GPU heatpipes return against gravity.
Supposing thats normal for PCIe. I'm wondering if anyone has ever attempted
flipping thier entire case over for purpose of measure? I may try later tonight...

Proper heatpipes are not reliant on gravity to function properly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

Heat_Pipe_Mechanism.png

If your cooler does cool better when oriented in a different position, then either the cooler is crap and doesn't use a wick system or something else is wrong with it (e.g. leak).

Last edited:
Yup I had a sapphire 7950 (I think) and it overheated in a Silverstone FT02 (90* mobo)

But a EVGA FTW worked fine

Well, I tried the flip, and GPU temps were not enough improved to prove.
Everything else inside the case got 2C warmer.

My RX 480 lives upside-down thanks to Dell. Just finished a heavy Doom session.
Have not tried standing the case on it's head to check, but the card seems to run comparable temps with others.

Attachments

• t3500.3.jpg
    t3500.3.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 33
My RX 480 lives upside-down thanks to Dell. Just finished a heavy Doom session.
Have not tried standing the case on it's head to check, but the card seems to run comparable temps with others.

I was always confused as to why the fans were on the "bottom" of the video cards, and that is where the old awesome graphics were printed on the fan shroud. Once the cards were in, they were out of sight, so it never made sense to me.

I was always confused as to why the fans were on the "bottom" of the video cards, and that is where the old awesome graphics were printed on the fan shroud. Once the cards were in, they were out of sight, so it never made sense to me.
Heat rises, maybe? Cases also have better ventilation at the top, including your exhaust fan. It just makes the most sense to blow the air up.

"I was always confused as to why the fans were on the "bottom" of the video cards"

Have pondered this as well. Seems to me fans on top would suck heat from the CPU. Socket is on bottom left (behind lower HDD) in this Dell by the way. Much about these is backwards. Partly because they are made to be stacked atop one another on their sides too.

Legacy may be another reason. In the old days we had ISA slots. Then when PCI slots were phasing in, those cards were mounted upside-down so both could work alongside each other without physical interference. Trend continued after AGP was implemented and has remained since. Just a thought.

shared.jpg

Last edited:
"I was always confused as to why the fans were on the "bottom" of the video cards"

Have pondered this as well. Seems to me fans on top would suck heat from the CPU. Socket is on bottom left (behind lower HDD) in this Dell by the way. Much about these is backwards. Partly because they are made to be stacked atop one another on their sides too.

Legacy may be another reason. In the old days we had ISA slots. Then when PCI slots were phasing in, those cards were mounted upside-down so both could work alongside each other without physical interference. Trend continued after AGP was implemented and has remained since. Just a thought.

shared.jpg
PCI specifications are what keeps the card configurations to that.

Just flip the case over 90 degrees. Fixes a lot of heat issues. I have been using SilverStone cases for a long time, and still use one today.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/27/silverstone_raven_2_evolution_enthusiast_case_review/

Back