Heatercore ideas?

Thunder888

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I recently dismantled my watercooling kit because my wife thought it was too intimidating. In order to preserve matrimonial bliss, I complied. I have to agree with her, it was a bit dodgy looking, as the heatercore was too large to fit into the case and I had to balance it on top of the case. It was pretty messy... :D

Now, I am looking for a smallish radiator replacement which will fit into my case. Question is, what can I use? :confused:

Are any of you using a smallish rad? I'm not talking about these nice and sexy designer rads you can buy for $$$. I mean something salvaged from a scrapyard or an old aircon unit or something. Preferably around 12 cm x 12cm, or nearby. (5"x5"). I'm not worried about the best performance, I'll worry about that later. I want something small which I can squish into a not-too-big case. I'm sick and tired of the bloody fan noise necessary to calm the beast!! :mad:

Any ideas?? Please help. :(

an '86 chevette heatercore is about 6x7. dunno if you can go much smaller than that.

Oil coolers come in all shapes and sizes if you can't find a suitably sized heatercore.

Thunder888 said:
Hi guys,

I recently dismantled my watercooling kit because my wife thought it was too intimidating. In order to preserve matrimonial bliss, I complied. I have to agree with her, it was a bit dodgy looking, as the heatercore was too large to fit into the case and I had to balance it on top of the case. It was pretty messy... :D

Now, I am looking for a smallish radiator replacement which will fit into my case. Question is, what can I use? :confused:

Are any of you using a smallish rad? I'm not talking about these nice and sexy designer rads you can buy for $$$. I mean something salvaged from a scrapyard or an old aircon unit or something. Preferably around 12 cm x 12cm, or nearby. (5"x5"). I'm not worried about the best performance, I'll worry about that later. I want something small which I can squish into a not-too-big case. I'm sick and tired of the bloody fan noise necessary to calm the beast!! :mad:

Any ideas?? Please help. :(

If there's room, why not cut out the your case floor just enough to affix the radiator to that. This would keep it all self contained.

The Chevette Heater core isn't as big as most of them...I'm planning to fit it in my Antec Sonata where the hdd rack sits.

below is a pic of my 77' boneville core in my full tower case. it's almost 12" tall. Maybe get this and a full tower case.

HPIM0245.sized.jpg

Thats what works for me, like a said, maybe you could just get a bigger case.

Thanks for the reply guys. The ideal solution would be to get a bigger case, which I will, but not right now. I'll only have the time and money later in the year to upgrade the case (and allow sufficient time to pass for the missus to forget about my constant tinkering with the PC... :D )

Oilcooler! cgrant26 - that may be the ticket! Any ideas where I can get hold of one? What type of store keeps them? I don't think my local hardware store will stock them (I live in South Africa - you know, the most southern bit of land right at the bottom of Africa ;))

Would an automotive store keep oilcoolers? Maybe a bike junkyard. What uses a smallish oilcooler? Bikes, cars, boats ?? That will tell me where to look.

Thunder888 said:
Thanks for the reply guys. The ideal solution would be to get a bigger case, which I will, but not right now. I'll only have the time and money later in the year to upgrade the case (and allow sufficient time to pass for the missus to forget about my constant tinkering with the PC... :D )

Oilcooler! cgrant26 - that may be the ticket! Any ideas where I can get hold of one? What type of store keeps them? I don't think my local hardware store will stock them (I live in South Africa - you know, the most southern bit of land right at the bottom of Africa ;))

Would an automotive store keep oilcoolers? Maybe a bike junkyard. What uses a smallish oilcooler? Bikes, cars, boats ?? That will tell me where to look.
Any automotive store should have oil-coolers. You could look for engine oil cooler, transmission cooler, or powersteering cooler. They're basically all the same. You could also tell them you're working on a custom project, and you'd like to see some of their heatercores. Maybe something will fit the bill.

I use a transmission cooler in my setup, which is pretty mush just like the oil coolers they're talking about, designed to go in front of an auto radiator I think. it measures about five by seven by one inches. Its just a universal cooler unit for different applications, so go to an auto parts store and look around a bit. The fittings on the end are 3/8" barbs too, which is perfect since I use 3/8" gates rubber fuel line. Good luck with your setup!

Shaweet!!! Thank you very much!

I'll hit the automative stores this weekend and see what I can find. Thanks again for all your help. :D

Back