Heatercore - aliminum inside or copper?

TehQuick

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
3,738
One more question for everyone who uses heatercores (esp. those from DangerDen) :D

My main concern is whether automotive heatercores are copper or aluminum inside. I am thinking about gettin the DD's heatercore along with DD's copper TDX and wonder if they will react or not... depending on what is the material the heatercore is made of inside. Does anyone has any idea? Thx again, guys, u r a terrific support group! :cool:
 
Most heater cores are copper, if it's aluminum you will know it because it's more of a silver color instead of looking like copper ;)
 
Actually, I e-mailed Danger Den about this last night. And they responded before 10AM this morning!

My questions were:
"I've been looking into my first watercooling system and have decided to go with Danger Den's products. I have a question about your heatercores though. I don't see what they are constructed from. People I've asked believe it's a copper core, but couldn't say for certain. I'm sure Danger Den has taken corrosion into consideration with the products they offer, but I just want to be sure myself.

While I'm writing this, I might as well ask about the mounting of the Maze 4 chipset block on an Intel 875 chipset. Your site suggests a partial epoxy mix. I've never used thermal adhesive, and do not know what ratio to use with thermal paste such as Arctic Silver 5. "

Their answers were:
"All heater cores are mostly brass and a little copper, brass does not have any corrosion problems with aluminum or copper so you won't need to worry about it;)

Good question about the thermal adhesive, you should use a 50/50 mix of Arctic Alumina Thermal Paste and Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive (Arctic Alumina is non conductive) and you will secure the block but you will be able to break the bond if necessary;)"

So there you have it...as long as you buy your heatercore from Danger Den, which I will. Theirs are a fair price (only $35 for a dual).

This also really impressed me with their reply time. Less than 11 hours to respond. Makes me feel even more confident about going with them. :D
 
A next day response is very good. A lot of places impress me with a never response. Who would buy from a place that never answers e-mails.

Also on the heatercreo from DD at least it isnt crazy priced like those "BlacksuperXtremeicepolar" rads that are huge money.
 
let's go for the more direct route and just rip one of the bastages open...

77 bonneville core (w/ac model, 2-302):
hci_layer.jpg


looks like copper and brass to me. :)

the silver near the edges is just the solder line.
 
Back
Top