heat pipe question

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an I5 laptop with a heat pipe cooling system there is about 4 inches from cpu to the laptop cooling fan. I have modified the laptop base and added mini heatsinks and copper shims along that the heat pipe. Am I helping or hindering heat pipe transfer of heat to the cooling fan?

It’s arguably “better” by increasing heat dissipation, but in the bigger scheme of things it didn’t accomplish much as far as performance is concerned.

thought about liquid metal but I suspect I would not see more than a degree or twos difference....

You might've actually reduced performance by hindering airflow inside the chassis, lowering the airflow to the fans.

If you want actual better temps for the CPU, then better ventilation directly underneath the fan intake would make a massive difference, with a caveat that it might cause other "passively-cooled" components to heat up more since there will be less air flowing over them.

I would re-paste the CPU with something that's efficient and designed to last for a long time. I use MX-5.

I think it will take more time to heat up, but will eventually. And when it does, restricted airflow might hinder getting rid of that heat.
With a heatpipe, the more interesting experiment would be to apply a thin insulation around it, so that it doesn't dump heat still deep inside the chassis. I'll have to try that sometime.

I think it will take more time to heat up, but will eventually. And when it does, restricted airflow might hinder getting rid of that heat.
With a heatpipe, the more interesting experiment would be to apply a thin insulation around it, so that it doesn't dump heat still deep inside the chassis. I'll have to try that sometime.
I do think about the possibility that the heat sinks on the heatpipe might be restricting heat transfer inside the heatpipe...

found this interesting and makes me think that the heatsinks would lower cooling efficiency...

Back