Heat issues on Threadripper

groebuck

2[H]4U
Greetings - I have a 1950X, ASROCK Taichi mobo and a Kraken x62 cooler

When I run the software with my x62 it shows temps some 30 degrees C cooler than the ASROCK hardware monitor. Obviously this is conerning since my asrock tool is shoing 89/90 c under stress load ( just a few minutes of 95 prime) and the Kraken is showing 59/60 c which I would be much happier with. Any thoughts as to why the two are sooo different? Kracken is installed correctly as far as i can tell I know it does not cover all the heat spreader but that seems very hot.

okay it looks like there is a 27 C offset?? You think the system monitor from ASROCK would show that.

okay it looks like there is a 27 C offset?? You think the system monitor from ASROCK would show that.
If the sensor is reading the water temperature, then it could easily be 30° cooler than the CPU temperature, especially since the kraken (unless they made a model specifically for TR) is probably not cooling the whole heatspreader.

Threadripper defines Tctrl to be Tdie+27C, just like Ryzen defines it to be Tdie+10C. It's not something Asrock made up. I'm guessing the Kraken software is reading Tdie, or equivalently reading Tctrl and doing the adjustment. Or, as suggested, it might be reading the water temperature if thermal equilibrium has been reached.

Bottom line is you need to find out for sure which temp you are looking at, Tctrl or Tdie or Tsomething-else.

Yeah I think it is a generic hardware info software for all asrock mobos -I know the 27C offset is from amd. I will get a better hwinfo and check it out.

Use hwinfo64. It's the most accurate software period. And you dont need to fiddle with offsets.

Back