• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Heat issue on the 4870?

Jagaaaa

n00b
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
6
I'm running the MSI 4870 1gb on my system using Catalyst 8.12.

Because of the summer weather here in California, I run the fan at 90% all the time but the card still idles at around 52C. I start up COD4 running in 1920x1200 with settings all turned on except AA. After about 15 minutes of play, the system locks up and the screen goes blank. I either have to do a hard reset or the system restarts itself.

I'm also on a q9550 which idles at around 47C~55C. Sure my case is a bit cluttered, but I don't think the airflow is THAT bad. Seeing how the lockups occur only during the summer weather, is it pretty much a set thing that it's a heat related issue? But I've seen other people's 4800s go up to like 90C on full load.

So my question is... should improve the airflow and try to lower temperatures even more, or is this a sign that my vid card is dying?
 
Oh, I forgot to mention this earlier, but I'm now running on Catalyst 9.3, but I still haven't tried playing COD4 yetbecause I'm afraid it'll freeze up again.
 
First clean the card heatsink and if possible reapply thermal paste, then get newer driver version, currently version is 9.6 and 9.7 should be available very soon.
 
Back
Top