Heasinks - Do you always have to use the blackplate

EndersShadow

[H]ard|Gawd
I see that most/all aftermarket coolers are now coming with their own custom backplate to use when mounting. This can sometimes cause compatibility issues.

I currently have the ASRock A75M-ITX motherboard which put some of the SMB components in the AMD keep-out area around the FM1 socket. Currently I have a Silverstone NT07-AM2 installed on this board (with the backplate) and dont have any issues. I however do not like the noise profile of this cooler and am wanting to replace it with the Noctua NH-L9A. On the Noctua website it says this board isnt compatible due to the SMB components on the back of the motherboard.

My question however is do you really need the backplate for as small a board as I have or can I get by without it. I have seen a couple instances of folks doing without the backplate on different coolers on a similar board (http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=83983&start=30#p1141367) so I am just curious. I thought about cutting the backplate to accomodate those pieces but that wont work either. I could probably use rubber washers (since plastic melts and that area tends to get hot) between the backplate and it would work (and I have had this verified with Noctua itself), but am just curious.

Thoughts appreciated.

I've had many cases where one backplate fits and another doesn't because of components on the back, etc. I just use whatever one I have that fits right as long as the screw threads are the same. Its not like the backplate makes any difference as long as it holds the screws properly. For example, my Z77 Mpower board has come components that interfere with my waterblock backplate, so I used one from a Hyper 212+ Evo that fits fine. No problems at all.

as long as you don't break anything, the whole purpose of the backplate is to stiffen and reinforce the MOBO against heavy coolers. Be careful tightening and moving it if you dispense with the plate.

If your case permits, a compromise is to stand the plate off with nylon washers, make sure it is well clear and no shorts.

I've had many cases where one backplate fits and another doesn't because of components on the back, etc. I just use whatever one I have that fits right as long as the screw threads are the same. Its not like the backplate makes any difference as long as it holds the screws properly. For example, my Z77 Mpower board has come components that interfere with my waterblock backplate, so I used one from a Hyper 212+ Evo that fits fine. No problems at all.

Well I cant use the Silverstone backplate for the Noctua cooler. The Silverstone screws down from the top, the Noctua is screwed down from below so its not even a possibility. I might just try with nylon washers without the backplate and with the backplate to see if it will work. I am concerned with clearence with the washers though.

as long as you don't break anything, the whole purpose of the backplate is to stiffen and reinforce the MOBO against heavy coolers. Be careful tightening and moving it if you dispense with the plate.

Thats what I thought, so I might just try it without and be verrrrry careful

If your case permits, a compromise is to stand the plate off with nylon washers, make sure it is well clear and no shorts.

That is what I am concerned with, I dont think my case will let me do that :(. I am using a Wesena IXT-6 case and have already had to make modifications to make the Silverstone fit.

how much washer can you fit on the back to spread the load on the holes?

its not wanting to load for me, I would use all the washer you can fit without shorts. If you can get two pretty big ones diagonally across from each other so much the better.

its not wanting to load for me, I would use all the washer you can fit without shorts. If you can get two pretty big ones diagonally across from each other so much the better.

That should be possible, I have two of them very close to chips, but the other two should be fine. Like I said I am hopeful I can space the entire backplate but not sure.

Overall I am going to probably buy the Noctua anyway since I like their fans (and was planning on replacing the 80mm Silvertone one on the heatsink with one of theirs anyway) its a bigger fan which means there should be more airflow and I think it will just work a bit better for me.

Its just a question of how much modding I will need to do to make it fit.

I might even space and then hack the backplate around the chips and make and then use spacers in the appropriate size in locations where I cant screw directly through the backplate.

Back