Heap Size for Source Games

ATIIsBetter

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
1,202
I need to know if you can change the heap size in Source games using the console. I just went from 1GB to 2GB, so I figure I can feed those games some ram.... it seems to be auto set at 256MB. Thx
 
Simple use half your memory as heapsize. If you have 512MB or less, then leave it alone.

Basically, in your steam game startup options for each game (or in the shortcut on your desktop), add -heapsize XXX number (as previously said in KB).

E.g. if you have 1GB of memory, use -heapsize 512000 as the startup option. This does not automatically increase performance though. It really helps in Plan of Attack, but i have not seen any performance increase in DoD:S with it.

I use -heapsize 1024000 since i have 2GB of memory. It's simply the cachesize that steam uses for it's games.

Example for DoD:S :

Open steam, then right click the DoD:S icon, select properties. In the upcoming screen select "launch options". In here type -heapsize 512000 (or whatever number you come up with) and i also have -novid (to skip the intro movie). Click ok and you're done.
 
If you have:
512MB use -heapsize 262144
1GB use -heapsize 524288
2GB use heapsize 1048576

basically you do this:
amount of ram you wanna use times 1024
example: i use a gig for all the games so I did 1024x1024=1048576
or you can use 512 so you do 512x1024 and enter the value (524288) into the launch option.... its better to use exact values... using 512000 will make source use some crazy amount like 509.2256565469884 MB
yep, thats it
 
Back
Top