Headset with usb good?

Originally posted by sfgradv
Hey! I have a question. The Plantronics DSP 500 headset connects to a USB and I want to know if that is good or better than connecting it to the speakers or the PC? Will it affect the performance? Thank You!

Here's a link on what the headset looks like:
http://store3.yimg.com/I/headsetzone_1771_938609

i would think that the microphone would better work with voice recognition but besides that dont see a point of getting it ...

sfgradv, this is the second thread you've started about this headset today and the second thread that has been moved from General [H]ardware to Computer Audio, which is the more appropriate forum for your topic.

Please read The Rules about posting to the most appropriate forum and don't start another thread in Gen [H]ard about this, ok?

Personally, I'd stay away from USB headsets. With any of my USB peripherals, all I have to do is bump the cord enough to move the connector a little, and I lose whatever is on that port. Then have to reboot to get it back.
Headsets tend to get moved around alot, so that would be a constant problem, especially if you do any gaming.

I believe that a USB headset is only useful when you don't have a very good sound card. The DSP-500 utilizes its own DAC, so it takes care of the sound processing. If you have a laptop or something, it may be worth it, but if not I'd look to the Audio .90s, which plug directly into your sound card and utilize its superior hardware.

Back