• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Headset w/mic, or not?

Dachande

n00b
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
28
Alright, this is a tri-pronged question.

1. Should I get a headset with a mic, or not? I've heard about issues on both sides (headsets w/mics have crappy mics, but standalone mics are inconvenient/pain in the ass)

2. Based on your answer for #1, which headset would you pick up if money was no issue?

3. Based on your answer for #1, which headset would you pick up if money was an issue (lets say $75 USD, max).


Thanks in advance!
 
1. Yes, I have never had a problem with headsets, including the audio 90s when they first came out.
2. If money was no issue I would get the Icemat Siberias w/ an xfi
3. If 75usd or under, a pair of Icemat Siberias with usb sound card
 
1. I like the idea of a good pair of headphones and a clip on mic. Limiting yourself to the sets with built in mics will make you pass up lots of good options. Zalman makes a clip on for like $11 that can be found at svc.com among other places.

2. My brother in law just got a pair of Audio-Technica monitors for his little in house recording studio and I really liked them. comfy and very nice sound. So right now, realistically, I would have to say I would love a set of a900 cans. But I guess pie in the skie, no holds barred, a set of these would be pretty cool, but overkill for gaming...
http://www.headphonereviews.org/headphone.php?action=view&headphoneId=36
by the way, that price is $7500.00 and not $75.00

3. $75 max is a tough price point. the deals are at $50 and $100 typically. My brother in law got the ATH-M40fs, which is a flat response monitor, but there is a bass enhanced Audio Technica ATH-D40fs that would probably do very well for games.
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-AUD-ATHD40FS.html

I myself am targeting the ATH-A500 at the $100 orice point.
 
But what about everything I read about the HD-555's and whatnot? Would it make a difference if I bumped the max price up $25-$50?
 
Dachande said:
But what about everything I read about the HD-555's and whatnot? Would it make a difference if I bumped the max price up $25-$50?


What about the HD555? They are great pair of headphone sfor the price :) They don't come with a mic though.
 
But I could buy a clip-on mic, I suppose...

I just want some good quality sound to go with BF2... That is really comfortable. ATM, I'm just using aLogitech set w/ a mic... But they're not very good at all. They're pretty comfortable, but horrible in the sound sense.

Anything is better than these!
 
Audiotechnica A500, A700 but yeah the Senn 555 w/ a clip on would be LIGHTYEARS away from ur current crap. or get the Senn PC160 headset which is ok or the PC150 which is 30-40 bucks and a damn good headset.
 
My brother in law has that set for his little recording studio setup in his basement. They sound great, but are made for accuracy. in other words, some people might find tha bass a little lacking. I personally liked them. But don't rush your buy based on that price. They can be had for $70-75 all the time...

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-AUD-ATHM40FS--m-09_55.html

there is also a bass enhanced version that I have no deirct experience with, but have been thinking of pickign up myself...

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-AUD-ATHD40FS--m-09_55.html
 
IDversusEGO said:
My brother in law has that set for his little recording studio setup in his basement. They sound great, but are made for accuracy. in other words, some people might find tha bass a little lacking.

Thanks man, you're correct. I just called a local music store, and they said the same thing. I would definitely pick up the version you linked. They're a good price and seemingly good quality. The pair that you tried on - was it comfortable? Did it feel cheap?

I'm asking because the M40s are the same shape as the D40s that you recommended... So, you'd have some experience with it.
 
the ATHM40FS set I tried on were a good set. Cupped the ear well and didn't squeeze my head. I have an average size head. 7.5 hat size for fitted baseball caps. Like most closed cans, your ears will need a break after a couple of hours just to get some air. overall I liekd them and am strongly considering them. They were lightyears ahead of my plantronics set. and to my knowledge, the d40 is physically the same as the m40, just sonically different.
 
The ATHM40FS are built like tanks, though they are plastic, good luck trying to harm them.

They are comfortable, but I didn't like the plastic pleather like stuff. I peeled it off one day at work (where I use them). Very good sound Isolation, but they do lack bass as compared to their bretheren. Good flat detail is what they are about. Very good in bf2.

Now not on the same level as the ATH-A900, but close to the A500, just not as wide of a sound stage.
 
Treyshadow said:
They are comfortable, but I didn't like the plastic pleather like stuff. I peeled it off one day at work (where I use them).

Ugh, it's that pleather stuff? I was hoping for some of the nice fuzzy/soft lining on the HD-555's... Oh well, I guess I can deal with it if it's a good quality sound.

Does anyone know if there's a difference between the ATH-D40 and the ATH-D40FS? I can't seem to find any difference, but some people haev the D40 listed, and others have the FS... What's the deal with that/
 
just someone not lsting the entire model proably. Check the actual manufacturer page. there is jus the one d40fs
 
IDversusEGO said:
1. I like the idea of a good pair of headphones and a clip on mic.

How is that zalman mic, I just upgraded to the AT A500's and I f'ing love em. The bass is so tight and punchy, for their enourmous size they are quite comfortable. Probably the best $100.00 I have spent on my computer besides my lcd monitor. I would recommend the A500ART to anyone that wants to get their feet wet with headphones, but doesnt want to blow their whole paycheck. I would say they are the best bang for your buck when it comes to lower end "good" cans.

The thing is, they dont have a built in mic...so my BF2 enjoyment has taken a nose dive. I am looking for a good mic, that wont break the bank, Does anyone have any personal experience with this Zalman clip on, or perhaps a desktop mic that they have had good experiences with in BF2.

Long live [H]ardforums!
 
Personally, I use 2 sets of headphones. For gaming that I am going to be using the mic for, I have a set of Sennheiser PC160SK. They are generally quite nice headphones, that aren't very fatiguing, and feature good audio quality. I think the mic quality on them is quite good as well. Price on them is decent, definitely within your $75 range.

For gaming where I will NOT require voice, I use a pair of AudioTechnica ATH-A900 cans. These, as most will tell you, are very nice headphones. As I am not always needing the mic, it is nice having these, as the audio quality is just awesome, and they cancel out almost all the ambient sound from my surroundings, resulting in a real immersion in the game. For music they are fantastic too, definitely studio quality pieces. But not cheap either. They aren't absurdly priced, but above the budget you mentioned. They can be found in the $180 range.

I avoid the clip on mic, and just sacrifice a bit of sound quality when I need my mic headset, as it keeps things cleaner and more hassle free.
 
Alright, so here's my final decision:

I'm looking at these two:

Audio Technica D40FS @ Amazon

Or,

Audio Technica A500 @ Amazon

Which would you guys go with, assuming I can afford either pair?
Is Amazon a good place to buy these kinds of things? Does anyone know of a place that is cheaper? (Note: Must ship to Canada!)
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The A500 look great, I would go for that, they look sturdier and better than the other pair, it would suck to buy $70 headphones and have them break sooner than expected.
 
I use the Zalman clip on mic http://www.svc.com/zm-mic1-75.html It's a very nice mic.The clip hooks right on the cord for the headphones so I just leave it attached all the time so it's ready for use. I usually wear it center chest level and never have any problems with it. It has a long cord so it can reach from the back of the comp to where you are and a great price. I use them with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770's.
 
Back
Top