Headset recommendations

MGCJerry

Limp Gawd
My old Creative Tactic 3D Sigma finally died. Sure, I could have fixed the enamel coated wiring *again* but that has gotten old after the nth repair and that flat wire is an *****ng nightmare to work with. After some good recommendations for my budget i7 build from [H], figure I cant go wrong.

Looking for a half decent headset for some gaming, voice chat and to use primarily for music enjoyment...

Requirements:
• $100 (including shipping, fees, all taxes, etc)
• No USB (the usb sound card from the tactic 3d has never been used in the last 8 years with the headset)
• No wireless
• Sound half decent and minimal. I though the Tactic3d sounded ok.
• 3.5mm connection(s) for headphones & mic.
• Full around the ear. Cans that sit on my ears hurt my ears *a lot*, I'll keep a headset on for 4+ hours when relaxing to music.
• Longer than a 3' (1m) cord.

Notes:
• An inline volume knob and mic switch would be nice, but not required.
• Any software or hardware it comes with will remain not used so that's money thrown away.
• The headset microphone will also be plugged into my PC microphone Phantom power adapter and connected to my mixer hence the requirement for a standard 3.5mm plug unless the headset recommendation comes with XLR on the mic connection.

I could buy another Sigma off Amazon, they're cheaper now but I'm curious to any new recommendations, I've been out of the audio, gaming, etc scene for a long time now.

I *was* looking at a Turtle Beach PX24 and they sounded ok with the demo audio at Gamestop, but after some reading found out they need to be "charged" to operate on a corded headset was a 100% turn off and the fact the headset cord is so short.

Thanks in advance. :)

Just came home with the Razor Kraken Pro headset and these sound muffled. Despite a lot of favorable reviews. Good lows, but everything in the lower mids up to the highs have a pillow suffocating them. music sounds muffled that's not supposed to be muffled. Going to be returning them tomorrow. Not happy with them.

My wife has a set of Polk Audio Striker P1. They actually sound very similar to my ATH-AD700's just not as open because they are closed cans. Good highs, mids and ok bass. They are good for music, but the sound stage isn't as big as my ATH-AD700's but there isn't much that is.

Striker P1 - Polk Audio

Thanks for the recommendation pool. :)

I've added them to my list as well. I really wish there was a place one could demo headphones/headsets before making a purchase.

Best overall "bang-for-buck" for $100 or less? Try this combo --

Philips SHP9500 headset: Philips SHP9500 Over-Ear Headphone Exclusive - Black-Newegg.com @ $58. Newegg also has an Open Box of the SHP9500 for $47 if you want to save cash; link here: Open Box: Philips SHP9500 Over-Ear Headphone Exclusive - Black - Newegg.com

V-Moda Boompro Mic: V-MODA BoomPro Gaming, VoIP Headset Mic @ $30

Total? $88 before shipping/taxes (if applicable). $77 before shipping/taxes if you go the Open Box route w/the SHP9500. And meets your needs quite nicely. How?

• Less than $100 total
  • No USB
  • No wireless
  • Excellent soundstage and clarity
  • 3.5mm connectors for headphone/mic
  • Full around the ear (circumaural), and very adjustable sizing
  • 79" cord (6'7") for the Boompro mic, which connects to the SHP9500 via male-to-female
  • Boompro also has an inline volume knob and mic on/offswitch.
This combo will blow away the options you tried and have read above.

I currently use this setup as a replacement for my Audio-Technica ATH-AG1 (which is now relegated to backup duty): High-Fidelity Gaming Headset | Audio-Technica (DISCONTINUED) || Audio-Technica US
The ATH-AG1 is very similar to the ATH-A700x series.

Back