• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Headset recommendations for less than $50




I know these got a bit of a following here in [H], as well as head-fi to some extent. However, I got the RX900's and hated them. Anemic sound, poor extension and separation. I know the RX700's are supposed to be more impactful and fun, but they can't be that much better. Comfort wise, I can't recommend them either. They're heavy, clampy and I get red/hot/sweaty ear from them fast. Not good for gaming sessions, as I would guess would be the OP's primary use for them.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The 700s are supposed to be better than the 900s, better soundstage and bass in particular. Comfort...well, most seem to find them very comfortable, but that's a highly individual factor.

Personally, I'd go for Sony MDR-V6 for a long-session all-rounder...as a matter of fact, I did. They're very good after the velour pads. But that's well out of budget.
 
If you don't mind spending a bit more, I'd highly recommend the GameCom 777's...
 
Bad cups, wiring issues, engineering standards. They're catering to kids who have maybe used the headset that came with their Xbox. Compared to that, they're fine, probably even good. Compared to what you could get for the money, they're crap.
 
Bad cups, wiring issues, engineering standards. They're catering to kids who have maybe used the headset that came with their Xbox. Compared to that, they're fine, probably even good. Compared to what you could get for the money, they're crap.

Okay, do you have any recommendations for headsets, as opposed to separate headphones and mics? You seem very knowledgeable ;)
 
It's usually better to do the mic as an add-on. Good headsets can get expensive.
 
If you really really want to do a solid headset vs. separate components, the Koss SB40 used to be regularly recommended here. I never had personal experience with them, so you should do your own research on them.
 
I've decided to get the Zalman mic, but I'm stuck between the JVC HARX900 and the HARX700. Does anyone know whether the difference in quality between these two mics is significant?
 
Get the RX700. It's cheaper and supposed to sound more exciting than the RX900. ashmedai said the 700 has better soundstage, but I'm pretty sure the 900 is superior in that regard (would make sense... open vs. closed). The 900 may have better detail, I forgot. I still think comfort is going to become an issue with this line of headphones.
 
Get the RX700. It's cheaper and supposed to sound more exciting than the RX900. ashmedai said the 700 has better soundstage, but I'm pretty sure the 900 is superior in that regard (would make sense... open vs. closed). The 900 may have better detail, I forgot. I still think comfort is going to become an issue with this line of headphones.

They're both closed. The product line by Audio Technica that they imitate has an open version, the AD700, which is very good if you can be sure of a quiet listening environment...but it costs a bit more.

I've decided to get the Zalman mic, but I'm stuck between the JVC HARX900 and the HARX700. Does anyone know whether the difference in quality between these two mics is significant?

Yeah, the HARX700 headphones are supposed to be superior to the 900s, oddly enough. Plus, they fit your budget, while the 900s don't.
 
Okay, I purchase the Zalman mic and the JVC HARX700.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
 
Keep in mind that Amazon is usually pretty liberal about returns, if you encounter any comfort issues.
 
They're both closed. The product line by Audio Technica that they imitate has an open version, the AD700, which is very good if you can be sure of a quiet listening environment...but it costs a bit more.

No, the 900's aren't closed. They're "semi-closed" with a narrow open grill ring just right outside the chrome ring on the cups. The 700's don't have it. Either way... I still stand by my belief they're overrated crap cans :D.
 
No, the 900's aren't closed. They're "semi-closed" with a narrow open grill ring just right outside the chrome ring on the cups.

Well that's bloody weird. Go JVC?

The main selling point of the HARX700 is that they're $30. Find me something better, and they'll get off the "I want something good but don't want to pay for it" list just as fast as the Koss SB-40s did.

Which are still a good option if someone doesn't like the HARX700, of course. It's not like they're any worse now.
 
The main selling point of the HARX700 is that they're $30. Find me something better, and they'll get off the "I want something good but don't want to pay for it" list just as fast as the Koss SB-40s did.

Well I was more referring to the RX900, which are a direct sibling of the 700 and equally praised (initially anyway).

I know the 700's are now generally considered better, but there's a lot that beats the 900 if it were $30. The Sennheiser HD201, PX100. The venerable Koss KSC 35/75, sportapro, portapro, etc.

There's also the Panasonic HTX7's, which gets some notice every once in awhile at head-fi, but nobody's wrote up some overhyped impression to launch it to FOTM frenzy. You really have to start knocking towards to the $100 mark to get its level of detail and clarity.
 
i have had the jvc rx700 and rx900 (as well as the rx500, hadx1, hadx3)

the 900 has fantastic huge bass and soundstage for a closed can. mids and highs are recessed.
the 700 is more of an all rounder, but can have huge bass with a little amping. soundstage a little smaller. i prefer the 700.

i have the panasonics. decent sound, great for a dept store buy, but a little boring for a gaming headphone
 
also consider -if you are handy - a gamecom 377 with koss ksc75 drivers. i did this myself and made a thread at headfi. gamecoms go for 15$ open box on ebay. if you can solder 2 wires you can do this
 
I have fallen in love with the KSC-35's again. I've been wearing them for eight hours now and no issues at all.
 
also consider -if you are handy - a gamecom 377 with koss ksc75 drivers. i did this myself and made a thread at headfi. gamecoms go for 15$ open box on ebay. if you can solder 2 wires you can do this


Hey, just an FYI, I have to pair of the 377's and both have developed flaky volume adjustments. I took one set and took the cover off the volume control (4 screws), you'll see 5 wires, 3 for speakers and 2 for mic. I took the output audio (red green and copper wires) and un-soldered and moved them up to the input wires (I think that's how I did it) and soldered it together there, bypassing the volume control. They work perfectly now, you just have to adjust volume with the source now. I also had to cut part of the inner cover where a tab comes down to guide it into place. That was because the wires were too tight to go around it. Again, just FYI if anyone runs into the same problem, it can be fixed.
 
Well, I unearthed my old RX900's and it's sounds better than I remembered. I still think they're uncomfortable and overhyped.
 
If you really really want to do a solid headset vs. separate components, the Koss SB40 used to be regularly recommended here. I never had personal experience with them, so you should do your own research on them.

I've had a set of Koss SB40s for about 18 months now. I slapped the Zalman clip-on mic on the mic arm and they work like a champ.

Very comfortable, good isolation, solid sound quality. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Without trying the two, I trust the audio forum when they say the JVCs sound better. Looks like they have better build quality as well. My SB40s hold up great, but they are plasticky. The JVCs look more attractive.

Either is a good choice, but unless the mic arm is a big deal for you, I'd probably go with the JVCs.

~S
 
Back
Top