• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Headset or headphone and mic?

KungFu-tse

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 12, 2003
Messages
107
Yeah, it looks like an idiotic question. But seriously, is it better to get a headset with an attached mic? Or seperate headphones with a mic stand?

Seems to me that headset is more cost efficient and easier to transport to LAN parties. However, conventions like QuakeCon and CPL happen only a certain number of times per year. 99% of the time I game at home.

On the other hand, buying them separately gives you more flexibility to mix and match. I'm kind of leaning towards this option.
 
Typically it is better to get a of headphones + seperate mic for the cost of a headset. It really depends on your budget
 
3rd those recomm - sep headphones and mic.

USB mic's have given me the best results and of course the headphones off the soundcard as normal.

:)
 
Let's just say about $200 is the max. It's not like I'm recording studio music. ZipZoomFly has Sennheiser HD595 for $180 plus free shipping, which is what I'm looking at now.
 
KungFu-tse said:
Let's just say about $200 is the max. It's not like I'm recording studio music. ZipZoomFly has Sennheiser HD595 for $180 plus free shipping, which is what I'm looking at now.

Can't go wrong with the 595s. Have you considered if you want open vs closed headphones? The 595s are open, so people around you will be able to hear what you are listening given the right volumes.

If you prefer closed headphones, then the Audio Technica A900s would suit you well. I believe they are a little more bassy than the 595s. If you are a basshead then it might be worth considering.

Regardless, both are good headphones and you cant go wrong with either.
 
spaceman said:
595s need an amp to be truthful. They are good but these are at least as good or better, more comfortable and don't benefit from an amp.

http://202.186.86.35/audio/review.asp?file=/2000/11/9/audiofile/09thule&sec=audiofile

do a search u can get them for around $115 shipped.

trust me I have had so many headphones it's really not funny. thanks head-fi!

Your link points to a cd player.
In my experience, the HD-595's benefit very little from a dedicated amp. I've owned multiple HD-595's and multiple amps.
 
Yes, the 595s are not a high impedance headphone and do not need an amp.

I say good headphones with a $10 radioshack mic is fine.
 
Yes,
Perfect I was just about to ask the same question as this thread. I already have the X-fi Extreme Music matched up with my speakers.
( Logitech X-530 they sound super ) But I dont really like gaming with speakers.

So I am thinking of getthing a headset or a headphone + mic but i can't make up my mind if I get like a Sennheiser 595 headphones and then a 12$ mic will my clan mates be able to hear me well enough ..?

It's really between the Icemat Siberias + X-FI or a pair of Sennheiser Headphones ( dunno witch one still ) + 12$ Logitech microphone + X-Fi...

Need help guy's
Thanks
 
go with the Senn hd595's they are great for gaming. And for the person who said they need an amp... that only applies to the old version of the 595's the new version is ony 50Ohms and can be easily driven by a portable player or a sound card.

I recently picked up some hd595's and they sound great out my x-fi xtreme music or creative zen micro photo mp3 player.
but they do benefit from a headphone amp. I got a little dot micro+ amp yesterday (picked it up cheap used off head-fi) and it added some bass emphasis and tightened up the bass and added a more full sound overall

I also ordered a zalman clip on mic that I plan to use when gaming
 
Back
Top