Headset for playing online?

jamesrb

[H]ard|Gawd
I played L4D for free and was thinking of buying the game and a headset.

I typically play with a 5.1 system and thought about getting a wireless Xbox 360 headset to use. This doesn't seem like a good idea though as I would only be able to use one ear for the 5.1 sound and one ear blocked by the headset.

Do most PC gamers use a stereo headset w mic combo?

Would using a mic with the speakers work? It seems like it would pick up the sounds from the speakers.

You need a noise cancelling headset to block out background noise. A standard mic will pick up your PC fan noise for instance. I think Zalman may do a standalone mic that noise cancels.

As spicey said, you should definately go for a set with a noise cancelling mic. I use a Plantronics Gamecom Pro. The construction on it looks cheap, I'm talking damn cheap, but its an excellent mic. Also USB.

When I want to use my surround speakers I just put the headset around my neck and arc the mic up to my mouth. Works well enough.

There are also headsets that deliver both 5.1 surround sound and a noise cancelling microphone. It just depends on your budget as to what you end up with.

F**K! I just bought a new headset a couple days ago and even considered starting a thread asking what was the best value out there.

I had no idea those zalman 5.1 surround sound headsets were so cheap now. I bought a pair of plantronics for double the price and they don't have surround sound. :mad:

The link he posted was just for the mic, not a 5.1 headset.

I read some reviews for the Zalman and they said movie playback sucked because Theater6 was not longer supported in the newest PowerDVD 7/8/9 versions. Games were ok but it is a bit dated now.

Back