Heads Up - Intel 4690K and Gigabyte Z97 Combo Deal at Micro Center

Aardvarck

Limp Gawd
I was able to walk out of the MicroCenter in Dallas with the 4690K Haswell Refresh and Gigabyte Z97X-SLI for $286.84 after taxes.

It's an in store only deal, not sure if it's at all Micro Centers.

The processor was $199.99 and the Mobo was $64.99 after the discount.

That's insane.

I didn't pre-oder it. I just placed the order for the processor this morning online and went to pick it up. One of the reps said I could get the motherboard combo with it. Normal price for the motherboard was $104.99.

That deal and many other combinations are listed in their June catalog online. There is a $40 rebate/reduction for MBs when purchased with a processor.

Yeah, I confirmed that it is in their June catalog as well. It's a pretty extensive list of motherboards and processors.

I was able to walk out of the MicroCenter in Dallas with the 4690K Haswell Refresh and Gigabyte Z97X-SLI for $286.84 after taxes.

It's an in store only deal, not sure if it's at all Micro Centers.

The processor was $199.99 and the Mobo was $64.99 after the discount.

That's insane.

Heh, I walked out with a 4770k and an MSI Z87-G41 PC MATE for $270'ish on Black Friday :)

I picked up a CPU/MB/RAM combo the other day. They took $40 off the MB/CPU and another $10 off the RAM.

Looks like a 4670k + mobo seems to be the best value right now.

Which motherboard though? Leaning towards the ud5h.

I think right now it depends on form factor and what you want from the SATA Express / M.2 capability. I wanted Thunderbolt if I picked up an ATX board, but the Gigabyte Z97 board with Thunderbolt lacks M.2.

I'd probably end up with an ASRock Extreme 6 b/c resources can be manipulated to get x4 on the M.2 interface.

Last edited:
I think right now it depends on form factor and what you want from the SATA Express / M.2 capability. I wanted Thunderbolt if I picked up an ATX board, but the Gigabyte Z97 board with Thunderbolt lacks M.2.

I'd probably end up with an ASRock Extreme 6 b/c resources can be manipulated to get x4 on the M.2 interface.

Yea the ASRock Extreme 6 is unique in that it has the full PCI-E bandwidth potential without having to buy a $400 MB...ASRock's Z77/Z87 boards are very solid performers and have very nice stability, and I expect the Z97 to be just as good if not better. ASRock has come a long way in the last decade, and I think they offer the best builds for the money.

Yea the ASRock Extreme 6 is unique in that it has the full PCI-E bandwidth potential without having to buy a $400 MB...ASRock's Z77/Z87 boards are very solid performers and have very nice stability, and I expect the Z97 to be just as good if not better. ASRock has come a long way in the last decade, and I think they offer the best builds for the money.

How so? Newegg says x8/x8

OP: Many thanks! I have a MC in Cambridge, MA. which is 40 minutes away. I think I'm going to pick-up the 4790 & the ASRock Z97 Extreme 4. Should set me back $329.00 ($40.00 discount & AR $15.00 MB Rebate) Time for an upgrade!

Aardvarck: Thanks again. I was @ MC when the doors open @ 10:00AM Here's what I picked-up.

ASRock Z97 Killer @ $94.99 (No stock on the ASRock Extreme 6)
4790K @ $279.99
Tax @ 6.25% $21.75 (the one downsides to MC in Massachusetts)
Total $374.99
minus $60.00 I had in rebate cards that I've been hoarding
Checkout Total $314.99

I think I did well overall. This should keep me going for @ least another 24 months. Now I need a 16GB kit of DDR3 2400 RAM & I'll be all set. Thanks again for the "heads-up"

Aardvarck: Thanks again. I was @ MC when the doors open @ 10:00AM Here's what I picked-up.

ASRock Z97 Killer @ $94.99 (No stock on the ASRock Extreme 6)
4790K @ $279.99
Tax @ 6.25% $21.75 (the one downsides to MC in Massachusetts)
Total $374.99
minus $60.00 I had in rebate cards that I've been hoarding
Checkout Total $314.99

I think I did well overall. This should keep me going for @ least another 24 months. Now I need a 16GB kit of DDR3 2400 RAM & I'll be all set. Thanks again for the "heads-up"

Man that's an awesome build for such a good price. I was also thinking about switching the 4690K for a 4790K but the MicroCenter here in Dallas was sold out. I decided to stick with the 4690K because even now it's way more horsepower than I really need.

Just had a friend in St. Louis pick up a 4790K and an ASRock Pro4 for me, total after tax and rebate was right around $370.

Last edited:
How so? Newegg says x8/x8

You are referring to the PCI-E X16 bandwidth and it dropping to X8/X8 if installing two GPUs..I was referring to the fact that you can get the full x4 bandwidth on the M2 interface (which is the actual spec) where many companies limit the M2 interface to x2. You can choose to either X2 or the full X4 on the ASRock board.

Back