Heads Up - Everquest going F2P in March

I'll continue playing on the Xegony server. I'm gonna give Vox (the new, fresh server) a shot just to see how many folks hit up the server. I doubt I'll stay there. I've made a ton of progress on my characters on Xegony, and I prefer a more mature economy/server.

I'll probably be making my own guild simply because I'm tired of playing by everyone else's rules, so if anyone is interested, post here or PM me. No obligations. If you don't want a guild and just want some assistance with gear/plat/leveling, that's fine. I don't mind helping at all.

Leveling, experience, and AA's are much faster than you remember.

I started from scratch on 1/27/2012 and I'm lvl 87 with 1500 AA. Granted, I'm three boxing and playing an unhealthy amount.
Around 2006, SOE made the decision that they want everyone to be high level (because low level is sooo boring :rolleyes:). They redefined level XP requirements and made it so you basically shoot to the top very fast. They give obscene amounts of XP for some things at low levels now. The bonus must be like 100x over what it used to be in the old days.

Around 2006, SOE made the decision that they want everyone to be high level (because low level is sooo boring :rolleyes:). They redefined level XP requirements and made it so you basically shoot to the top very fast. They give obscene amounts of XP for some things at low levels now. The bonus must be like 100x over what it used to be in the old days.

It's basically mandatory. There is just too much content in the game now. If it were like the old days, it would really discourage the vast majority of people.

I personally prefer it this way. It starts out fast and then slows way down. I think that's how it should be.

And still, it's not THAT fast if you are playing solo. It's really not.

So no more hell levels? I remember trying to get passed level 26, and after like a month of non stop playing I was close, then I kept getting killed in LoIO over and over, and lost about half a level... Ahhh those were the days...

Thats kinda cool, hey did they ever fix the issue where multiple MOBs would spawn on top of each other? man i remmeber i got that game at launch and i had to use my friends PC to play it with a whopping 8MB video card :)

This is so tempting. I played a raiding Enchanter through the first 2 expansions but dropped it after that. Ahhhh, memories of Guk and Cazie!

This is so tempting. I played a raiding Enchanter through the first 2 expansions but dropped it after that. Ahhhh, memories of Guk and Cazie!
I think that's actually one of those things that you'll never get back. My time in EQ was the best time of my life in any game, SP or MP. I played through Gates of Discord and then the bugged to hell and back Omen of War came out and most people who were in my guild quit because the zones and raids were so horribly bugged.

However, I still remember when I received my NToV BP to complete my NToV set. One, if not the, proudest moment in gaming I ever had. Sure, getting into PoT and successfully raiding there was an accomplishment too but it just didn't compare to the early raids of NToV and the Plane of Air raids (now apparently renamed to Sky), or even just breaking into the original Hate or Fear.

Those moments will not repeat themselves today. The players are different, and the game is much different (easier). In addition I wouldn't want the grueling gaming experience that was the original EQ. Looking back at it today made the stuff we used to do seem crazy (i.e. corpse recovery after a Fear wipe).

Best gaming memories ever still, I am glad I did it and glad I did it with the group of people I did it with.

I think that's actually one of those things that you'll never get back. My time in EQ was the best time of my life in any game, SP or MP. I played through Gates of Discord and then the bugged to hell and back Omen of War came out and most people who were in my guild quit because the zones and raids were so horribly bugged.

However, I still remember when I received my NToV BP to complete my NToV set. One, if not the, proudest moment in gaming I ever had. Sure, getting into PoT and successfully raiding there was an accomplishment too but it just didn't compare to the early raids of NToV and the Plane of Air raids (now apparently renamed to Sky), or even just breaking into the original Hate or Fear.

Those moments will not repeat themselves today. The players are different, and the game is much different (easier). In addition I wouldn't want the grueling gaming experience that was the original EQ. Looking back at it today made the stuff we used to do seem crazy (i.e. corpse recovery after a Fear wipe).

Best gaming memories ever still, I am glad I did it and glad I did it with the group of people I did it with.

IMO, those difficult mechanics and unforgiving gameplay defined a lot of what I like in games to this day. Getting shadowstepped all over, buffs stripped, corpses camped by 100+ mobs all for the chance at a single epic drop/clicky or whatever the hell pushed me to work hard and not give up.

Sry for the noob question, but i'm confused... are you talking about EQ1 or 2? never played either, but are both free to play now? it looks like it.

I was looking forward to playing EQ for free, but alas, the free/silver ($5) accounts are way to gimped. Not even going to bother giving it another shot.

I was looking forward to playing EQ for free, but alas, the free/silver ($5) accounts are way to gimped. Not even going to bother giving it another shot.

Totally false unless you plan on powerleveling and playing hardcore to the extreme for a month.

So, who got back into this?

I sold my decked out toons when I quit but just logged back in and found my semi-naked alt chanter (L65) in PoK. Last time she was logged in was in 04/05/2004 according to the guild list.

Doesn't have any great gear (not that 8 year old gear would matter today), but I do have 20k plat banked which will probably buy me something if the inflation didn't hit the game too hard.

20k plat was also surprising since the account overview linked above states that F2P players can only have 100 plat per level but I guess "old money" is grandfathered in.
EDIT: Actually, the account is silver level which allows for up to 32.5k per character so that's why the cash is still there.

Now the question is; Is it worth doing anything in EQ? Level 65, only 3 AA, perhaps it's just as well left alone and/or deleted to be done with it.

So, who got back into this?

I sold my decked out toons when I quit but just logged back in and found my semi-naked alt chanter (L65) in PoK. Last time she was logged in was in 04/05/2004 according to the guild list.

Doesn't have any great gear (not that 8 year old gear would matter today), but I do have 20k plat banked which will probably buy me something if the inflation didn't hit the game too hard.

20k plat was also surprising since the account overview linked above states that F2P players can only have 100 plat per level but I guess "old money" is grandfathered in.
EDIT: Actually, the account is silver level which allows for up to 32.5k per character so that's why the cash is still there.

Now the question is; Is it worth doing anything in EQ? Level 65, only 3 AA, perhaps it's just as well left alone and/or deleted to be done with it.

If it was me, I'd start a new character but keep your old one as well. Use the cash to help outfit the newb if you want and have fun.

At level 65, you could probably grind out some new quests or instances with a mercenary or 2 and get back into it. I'm not sure what grouping is like at that level, havent been on since mid 2009. They did quite a few server merges, so you might find a healthy grouping situation at that level.

I played a couple of hours last night on a new toon and I can say this much; Playing EQ back in the day was the best time I ever had in a multiplayer online game. Having said that, today I cannot play it anymore. The user interface and the graphics just don't do it for me.

Farewell EQ, you will always be fondly remembered!

Also, if anyone wants 20k plat on Bert let me know, I'll gladly hand them off.

Oh I didn't necessarily mean the UI as in the graphics of it, we did use custom UIs back in the day. I suppose it's more about the interaction with the environment really. The whole Hail business, the chat window based responses, the spastic combat animations, stuff like this, just can't get into that anymore.

Yep, I get it. I'll likely never play it again, either.

Just pointing things out for those that do want to get back into it.

Keep in mind you can apply all sorts of filters to your chat windows, have dedicated windows for certain types of interaction etc. With a well set up UI and properly tweaked chat windows, I much prefer it to even WoW. Though it literally takes hours to get everything settled to your playstyle if you plan on playing seriously.

Heads Up.

EQ2 has reduced many of the free to play restrictions recently. Now you can be any race or class, there is no gold limit.
There are still spell and chat limitations for the free version, but If you enjoy EQ2 its worth spending the one time 5$ to get silver and have access to all chat channels.

More info here : https://www.everquest2.com/free

I played the hell out of EQ right before/after it went F2P. The ultimate grinding MMO lol

Heads Up.

EQ2 has reduced many of the free to play restrictions recently. Now you can be any race or class, there is no gold limit.
There are still spell and chat limitations for the free version, but If you enjoy EQ2 its worth spending the one time 5$ to get silver and have access to all chat channels.

More info here : https://www.everquest2.com/free

They did the same with EQ. All class/race combos were unlocked. Awesome for buff bots.

I installed EQ a week or so ago. After 4 years of not playing, it is NOT like riding a bike. It took me 8 hours just to retrain myself and put together a UI I liked. After that, it was pretty damn fun, still.

One thing I really disliked was that with my (once) bleeding edge raid geared character, some of the gear he had equipped was only usable with a gold membership, including the badass sword that was the very best in the game back when I quit.

I still remember the days playing non stop and stopping when I saw the sun coming up in the morning. I no longer play MMO's :D:eek:

i guess its time for me to give this a whirl.

when i was first introduced to EQ 1 im pretty sure i never did anything in it but kill a couple rats. i remember the character creation and some rats thats about it.

and turned it off in favor of playing some Jane's WWII flight sim. which im assuming was in 1999. i was 15

at the time i enjoyed the freedom of flying around in a P40 and making nazi's craash and burn. im still mad at no more Jane's simulators. i played so much Janes USAF really miss it.

any ways i think its time i give this mmo a shot so downloading it now, just hope i can get over the dated graphics and enjoy it. kinda interested to see what it has to offer and with all the expansions ect. im sure i wont even scratch the surface when it comes to seeing the content.

i guess its time for me to give this a whirl.

when i was first introduced to EQ 1 im pretty sure i never did anything in it but kill a couple rats. i remember the character creation and some rats thats about it.

and turned it off in favor of playing some Jane's WWII flight sim. which im assuming was in 1999. i was 15

at the time i enjoyed the freedom of flying around in a P40 and making nazi's craash and burn. im still mad at no more Jane's simulators. i played so much Janes USAF really miss it.

any ways i think its time i give this mmo a shot so downloading it now, just hope i can get over the dated graphics and enjoy it. kinda interested to see what it has to offer and with all the expansions ect. im sure i wont even scratch the surface when it comes to seeing the content.

It's funny how some of us got our jollies with the flight sims and others got them eagerly hacking away at skeletons hoping for a rusty greatsword outside of Qeynos. I vividly remember the mad rush of players converging on skellies that had weapons vs those that did not.

It's funny how some of us got our jollies with the flight sims and others got them eagerly hacking away at skeletons hoping for a rusty greatsword outside of Qeynos. I vividly remember the mad rush of players converging on skellies that had weapons vs those that did not.

You are bringing back so many memories. Every now and then on twitch.tv someone streams some EQ. The other day I was watching a mage kill those spiders that screeched in the desert of the commonlands.

not a good start. i get into where you choose a character and nothing happens after that, i can move the mouse around and click on buttons like create character, or station cash button or become gold but non of the buttons do anything heh. the quit button doesnt even work.

In my opinion, its still the best MMO out there, just too empty so pick a decent server I guess. The addition of guild halls kind of killed the game for new players IMO because it makes the towns empty. No need to go to towns with guild halls at all. This also kills the houses, as it used to be nice to just see some of the nicer houses decorated that players did and such. With the sheer amount of content, you could make four characters that rarely see the same content or zones at all, (except the high end zones). I was even thinking of restarting a dirge again, but I just don't have the time to raid the sheer amount of raids there are in the end game.

EQ1 was my first MMO too, and man so many memories. It was definitely the best MMO I've ever played. I remember how fucking long it took to get the Monk epic weapon, which at the time wasn't even that good, but that shit was ridiculously fun. Just a classic...

Are people really still playing this, or did they all move onto EQ2 by now? I don't think I'd subscribe again but I'll definitely install this and give it a shot just to bring back some memories.

EQ1 was my first MMO too, and man so many memories. It was definitely the best MMO I've ever played. I remember how fucking long it took to get the Monk epic weapon, which at the time wasn't even that good, but that shit was ridiculously fun. Just a classic...

Are people really still playing this, or did they all move onto EQ2 by now? I don't think I'd subscribe again but I'll definitely install this and give it a shot just to bring back some memories.

I played pretty hardcore for a while last year when I posted this. The population was smaller but very hardcore at the same time. The community was still good. You need a guild though. You aren't going to solo in EQ. Plan on at least 2 boxing. I was 3, 4, or 5 boxing. It was a lot of fun actually, even just soloing through content. I used merc healers when boxing. I'd drop my boxes when others wanted to join the group and have them hang around outside of the group for assistance. The truth is, once you start boxing, you can't ever go back. I could never play a single character again. It's just too boring. Running at 5 at once was really a blast. I hit 6.5k AA on my highest character. The rest were 2-6k AA. I had the refer a friend bonus on 3 of the accounts though which made a huge difference.

The amount of cool ass content is just retarded. All the recent expansions have amazing zones. House of Thule was awesome. Veil of Alaris had cool zones as well, but it was quite a bit more difficult. I boxed through all of the progression for HoT and VoA. Underfoot had some really cool stuff too now that I think about it, but I didn't do all of the progression there.

I played on Firiona Vie where I was able to buy/sell no drop gear. I never raided, so that allowed me to get some of that raid gear I didn't have access to.

Last edited:
The population actually seems decent on The Rathe. Every xp zone I visited in the few days I played had people in it. (80-90)

Back