Okay... *sigh*
HeadRoom Desktop Amp
+ Max DAC
I've been drooling over this amp (and headphone amps in general) for a while now. I've been saving up for a while now too, and i think now is the time to take the plunge. As far as i know, HeadRoom (www.headphone.com) is pretty well respected around here, but i haven't seen too many posts about them. Does anyone have any opinions of HeadRoom or the Desktop amp that they'd like to share? Any headphone amp wizdom?
I'm in college, but i'm pretty sure this is the amp i want.
Right now i own:
Audio-Technica ATH-A900 sealed headphones
Etymotics ER-4P isolating earphones
20GB iPod
My digital source will be a Mac PowerBook (maybe a Linux box sometimes) while i'm at school. I've got a CD player with an optical out at home, but i'll probably not use this, as right this moment i'm re-ripping all of my CDs into a lossless format that i can store on my computer.
I could go with a Total BitHead; i was looking at this before. But when HeadRoom upgraded all of their stuff so that they all can take digital inputs, that made me take a look at their higher-end stuff. I want this amp because i don't think i'll ever need to buy anything to replace it: it's about as top of the line as i want to go. I'm thinking this is something that will last me well into my next life. I'm thinking, if i get what i know i'll want in the future now, then i won't have to get mediocre stuff now, and then have to upgrade, and upgrade... ('Cause in the end that would be more expensive.)
The only thing i'm hesitant to buy right now is the Max Module (Amplifier) because that require an additional $400 power supply. That's very much a lot of dinero.
I'm asking: do you think this is a good purchase? Should i spend my money elsewhere? I've never heard a headphone amplifier before in my life: is this a rash decision?
Let me know if there is anything else you all want to know, sorry this is a long post, but i'm just trying to bring you all "up to speed."
Thanks.
HeadRoom Desktop Amp
+ Max DAC
I've been drooling over this amp (and headphone amps in general) for a while now. I've been saving up for a while now too, and i think now is the time to take the plunge. As far as i know, HeadRoom (www.headphone.com) is pretty well respected around here, but i haven't seen too many posts about them. Does anyone have any opinions of HeadRoom or the Desktop amp that they'd like to share? Any headphone amp wizdom?
I'm in college, but i'm pretty sure this is the amp i want.
Right now i own:
Audio-Technica ATH-A900 sealed headphones
Etymotics ER-4P isolating earphones
20GB iPod
My digital source will be a Mac PowerBook (maybe a Linux box sometimes) while i'm at school. I've got a CD player with an optical out at home, but i'll probably not use this, as right this moment i'm re-ripping all of my CDs into a lossless format that i can store on my computer.
I could go with a Total BitHead; i was looking at this before. But when HeadRoom upgraded all of their stuff so that they all can take digital inputs, that made me take a look at their higher-end stuff. I want this amp because i don't think i'll ever need to buy anything to replace it: it's about as top of the line as i want to go. I'm thinking this is something that will last me well into my next life. I'm thinking, if i get what i know i'll want in the future now, then i won't have to get mediocre stuff now, and then have to upgrade, and upgrade... ('Cause in the end that would be more expensive.)
The only thing i'm hesitant to buy right now is the Max Module (Amplifier) because that require an additional $400 power supply. That's very much a lot of dinero.
I'm asking: do you think this is a good purchase? Should i spend my money elsewhere? I've never heard a headphone amplifier before in my life: is this a rash decision?
Let me know if there is anything else you all want to know, sorry this is a long post, but i'm just trying to bring you all "up to speed."
Thanks.