Headphones with A2ZS questions

Badger_sly

[H]ard|Gawd
I just have a few questions for the headphone gurus here, which I'm not.

I've never needed headphones before, but due to my wife change in work schedule, they sure are needed now. Anyway, I have the headphones already, and I have an Audigy 2 ZS (no pro or platinum, just the card).

From what I've read so far, I plug the headphones into the Line 1 Out Jack. Is that correct? Also, will I only hear from my headphones the sound that would normally go to just the front speakers? Or, does changing the speaker type, under advanced of sound and audio in the control panel, or changing the speaker type in the Audigy2ZS speaker setup application, to headphone from 4.1, somehow send the front and rear sounds to the headphones?

And one more question, I currently have 2 recievers/amps that take the signal from the Audigy and output it to bookshelf stereo speakers (front to 1 amp, rear to the 2nd amp). The amp that outputs to the front speakers has a headphone input jack, not the 1/8" mini / it's the larger plug input. If I were to get an adapter and plug headphones into this headphone jack on the amp, will I get the same output as plugging directly into the Audigy Line 1 Out Jack?

I hope someone can understand all of that^^

Badger_sly said:
From what I've read so far, I plug the headphones into the Line 1 Out Jack. Is that correct?

Yea, that will work.
You can also use one of Foobar's DSP's to route the output to the rear channels if you wish.
Badger_sly said:
Also, will I only hear from my headphones the sound that would normally go to just the front speakers? Or, does changing the speaker type, under advanced of sound and audio in the control panel, or changing the speaker type in the Audigy2ZS speaker setup application, to headphone from 4.1, somehow send the front and rear sounds to the headphones?

What? :p
For the most part 4 speaker mode just mirrors the front channels to the rear so it really doesn't matter a whole bunch.
FWIW the headphone setting applies a poorly equalized crossfeed witch has the opposite effect (crossfeed is intended to minimize listener fatigue but the EQ curve negates that due to the bright presentation)

The golen rule applies here. Try the various settings and see what works best for you. ;)

Badger_sly said:
And one more question, I currently have 2 recievers/amps that take the signal from the Audigy and output it to bookshelf stereo speakers (front to 1 amp, rear to the 2nd amp). The amp that outputs to the front speakers has a headphone input jack, not the 1/8" mini / it's the larger plug input. If I were to get an adapter and plug headphones into this headphone jack on the amp, will I get the same output as plugging directly into the Audigy Line 1 Out Jack?
Obviously. :)

Back