• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Headphones- So lost....

  • Thread starter Deleted member 89137
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89137

Guest
Well I just received these yesterday from Newegg. Definitely quality headphones, great for music, gaming is good with the bass up and the treble down. The wire is very thick, I'd say double if not triple the thickness of my broken Steelsound 5H. Mine came with a stand or holder (whatever you want to call it) which seems useful, I hang my headphones from the top of my desk :D. They look nice too, they are silver with black cloth, and Sennheiser is written on the top in white.
Right out of the box the headphones themselves were a bit stiff, but that was probably from being in the back of a cold FedEx truck. The earcups go right over my ears, and dont touch my ears at all. The sound quality is definitely better than my steelsound 5h, a lot more bass, and the highs sound so much better and dont crackle at all. The cord is very long, plenty to reach my computer (although I prefer to just plug it into my speaker's audio jack).
The wire is completely removable. It comes right out of the headphones, though it doesn't seem like it would just come out of there without excess force.
No, these headphones are not noise cancelling, but they are indeed good sounding headphones. The bass is so deep, and they can handle the volume being turned up very loudly.
Pros
  • Comfortable
  • Great bass
  • Great highs
  • Thick Cord
  • Look nice
  • Comes with free stand
  • High quality materials
  • Removable cable
  • Long Cable
Cons
  • None as of right now...


Full size Pictures:
Headphones w/ out cord
Headphones1.JPG

Headphones expanded w/ out cord
Headphones2.JPG

Headphones w/ cord
Headpones3.JPG

Earcups
Headphones5.JPG

Steelsound 5h next to Sennheiser HD485.
HeadphonesX2.JPG

the cord (yes, my camera sucks.)
IMGP2769.JPG
 
The HD280s are very good, but right out of the box they are pretty bassless. They need some burn in time before they start sounding really good. I'd get them, hook them up to whatever you use, and play music through them for a day to a week. Of course, you can always use the traditional burn them in while you listen method. :p

Another option os the Audio Technica A500 from Audiocubes. Comfortable, sealed, closed headphones, very good for gaming.
 
The HD280pro just sound like very accurate car speakers to me.
They are way too dry for their own good. They are very unnatural sounding to my ears.

Then again, if you have never heard anything better then the HD280pro, they will sound nice, and ... well.... ignorance can be bliss.

Try them out before you buy them so you know what your getting into. Either that or make sure they come with a good return policy just incase.

Not the most comfortable out there either.
 
For the price the 280pro's are very good. I have them myself, but splurged a bit more and got some HD595s, mainly because after LONG hours of use with the 280s they become a tad uncomfortable. I hardly notice I'm wearing the HD595s =). I use my 280s when I'm on trips or something and I want seclusion.
 
If you're not going to shell out for an amp, then the 280pros or a500s are pretty darn good (but the 280s definately sound more energetic with a little extra juice).

But if you have more money to spend there's stuff that's way better, I deeply love my beyer dt770s for gaming, and my beyer dt880s with cardas cable are, to borrow a phrase, "eargasmic" for music, but you have to spend mucho moolah to get that type of sound.

In all cases source goes a long way, for instance my 280s sound much more lively out of my external audigy2nx than out of my onboard envy24 (which sounds a little flat, and not in the good way), and they sounded better still out of my a4pro. currently I'm using a shuttle with no pci ports so I'm kind of limited, but I'm thinking of going back to a full tower so I can try the x-fi.
 
Well I definitely want comfortable headphones....Anyone know anything about the hd465? they were very comfortable when I tried them on.

I have a creative audigy 2 as my sound card, and a really old but powerful Pioneer receiver in my living room. I'll be upgrading from steelsound 5h, which in my oppinion, sound horrible. They crackle so much when listening to rock...
 
If you listen to rap the Audio Technica ATH-A500 are >> than the Sennheiser HD280 Pro without an amp. I would spend my benjamin that way.

If you can stretch the budget and find someone else that wants a pair of great cans, head over to guitar center and get 2 pairs of DT-770 80 ohms for 299 with the freen amp. You can keep the amp and one set of the cans, and sell the other for 150. Thus giving you a very good setup for 150.

However at the 100 dollar mark and no amp, the ATH-A500 are the best bass and positional cans available.

Bass ATH-A500 > Senn HD280
Positional Audio ATH-A500 > Senn HD280
Comfort (IMO) ATH-A500 > Senn HD280
 
hell, for 100$, you can get the HD280pros? Meh, if anything, get the HD 485s off of Zipzoomfly.com for about $67 with free 2-day shipping. Or, if you want them for pure gaming, get the Icemat Siberias (love them), off of Tiger Direct for about $61 all in all.
 
I'm kinda limited to newegg as that's where I have credit :(
 
485s for $85 on newegg. Problem solved. or you can go for the 280 Pros, but I like the "open-ear" cups where the sound leaks out.
 
How are the hd485's better than the hd465s?
It's $10 more -_-
Is the sound quality better? Or is it just the design of the earpad?
 
I love my HD-485s but I cant compare them to the 465s as I have never listed to them. I think they might have a better frequency response range. headphone.com had them on sale for $70 something last week I saw. I picked them up locally about a month ago for $90 and have been enjoying them ever since. They are so lightweight and comfortable I barely notice them on my head.
 
just ordered the hd485 from newegg for $88 shipped (I had to opt for fedex shipping... ups is horrible where i live)
I'll write up a review a week after I get them, as I now understand how headphones need burn in time.
 
that sucks, already ordered the HD485 for 88... I am a hardcore HD485 fan! was gonna link yo to a cheaper price so you can get the earbuds too lol. Anyways good choice, these things beat the HD280pro anyways, better bass, better mids because it's open and not closed like the 280's, cheaper, and IMO, the treble is very lively and kicking and extended on these lol :D Enjoy.

http://www.digitallyunique.com/Senn...VVproductId3506352VVcatId406640VVviewprod.htm
 
man azn, amazing link, I wish you could've given that to me before when I was looking for Sennheisers and Audio Technicas =/
 
very nice review, congrats with the 485s. Now how about sending those "broken" 5H's my way? :p Anyways, if it gets a bit tight, you should open them up by stretching it ontop of your computer case.
 
Back
Top