Headphones or Speakers

Xoidie

n00b
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
37
I was just wondering if all you out there that have a speaker setup
and cans which do find yourself using more.
Which Do you prefer to use more often?
I have some Senn HD555's and The Logitech Z-5500 5.1
I find that I always lean towards the cans.
 
Depends.

For music and movies, I go with my speakers.

For (some) games and audio creation, I need headphones.
 
I use both a lot buti tend to use my headphones when people are home. I use my speakers when there not. because I dont wanna piss them off when I blasting my Z5500 and scare them to death.
 
Speakers -- they are just easier to manage. Press on button of my receiver, control volume with my remote, and everything is ready. With headphones, there's the additional wiring. That said, my headphones have better sound quality than my speaker setup, and don't vary sounds with different sitting positions, so in a sense, headphones can be quite convenient depending on the situation.
 
Headphones=much better for the games I play. W/speakers, pricks could always sneak up and knife me in BF2142. Now I can usually hear them before they knife me, and them w/knife + me w/gun = bad day for them that time.
Do sometimes miss my speakers for movies or jams when doing household chores or chillin with a beer, but oh well.
 
Each has their pros and cons.

For me, I've never been able to attain the same amount of enjoyment from a pair of headphones as I do from speakers. But keep in mind that that's for my use alone, yours may be different.
 
People home use headphones, people not home use speakers and turn up the bass ;), gotta have both.

I usually listen to music only in my car so, its usually games or movies...
 
I use both a lot buti tend to use my headphones when people are home. I use my speakers when there not. because I dont wanna piss them off when I blasting my Z5500 and scare them to death.

lol I feel you I was pumping out full volume on my Z5500 and got the cops called on me twice that day
:D
 
i need to hear and feel so i only use my EIMs at work. my music listening tends to be four to five hours a day though so nice EIMs at there relative high price make sense to me. at home i really only watch movies and play games. movies is theater only for me... gaming though is mixed if i am playing online i use head gear but for campaign i us speakers. in my setup my theater is more subversive then headgear.
 
For non-music, I don't care (much) about the quality, so the Boston 2.1 system on the PC is fine.

Music's a different story. The extra detail from phones is a bonus, but the lack of a soundstage gives much less of a feel that I'm in the presence of musicians. Speakers seem to transport me to a seat in the audience, while using phones is more like sitting in the recording booth, hearing the microphone feed. Just sitting back to enjoy myself, I'll take good speakers over good headphones every time.

It depends on the particular equipment, of course, and I'd probably prefer the OP's Sennheisers to his Logitechs. My gear is very different, so the speakers win.
 
Games: Cup-style headphones all the way. I don't bother the neighbors (an issue when you live in a townhouse) and it really makes the game more immersive to me than using speakers.

Music, Serious Listening: Cup-style headphones. I'm old-school as far as wanting to just sit quietly and really take in a new album that I buy. Headphones are still the best for that. (Lava lamp optional.) Or I listen on the 8-speaker sound system in my car, which is is actually awesome for serious listening.

Music, Casual Listening: I still prefer my old (huge) JBL pro stereo speakers on my entertainment center to any PC speakers. Or for on-the-go casual, my iPod with Sennheiser small-size noise-canceling headphones (I'm not an earbud guy.)

Movies: I don't have 5.1, so my JBL's with my DVD recorder's simulated 3D sound is good enough.

Everything else on the PC: Logitech 2.1 speakers. They're OK but don't compare to any of my other options.
 
i like headphones for their privacy, i can listen to whatever i like without bugging others

but speakers have that in-the-chest-i-can-feel-it-rattling-my-bones, bass that you really really cant replicate with headphones.
 
at audiogon i saw a guy selling some senn orpheus cans a while back that he used with a logan dynamo sub. i bet it was on the nicer side of the audio spectrum. i wonder how he calibrated though... maybe he had a head mic?
 
lol theres the solution to my problem...a sub with my hd600's


senns are mostly open aire headphones, so i guess he just let it leak in....sounds like crap though that way (i tried playing a game with headphones while listening to my music through speakers) i guess if your looking for impact only...
 
Back
Top