Headphones on optical out of Samsung 7 Series (TV has no headphone jacket)

Sephrioth

Weaksauce
I want to connect headphones to the Samsung UE32B7020 which does not have a headphone jacket. What are the best options for adding a headphone?

Using an optical to analog convertor seems problematic because most do not support the 5.1 signal. I believe the TV cannot be configured to output a certain type of signal, but maybe I am wrong? What other options are there? Should I buy a amplifier of around 200 dollar just to convert the optical signal to analog for a headphone?

Can your TV output or passthrough 5.1? I was under the impression that HDTVs can only output 2.0 out of optical.

If you go with a DAC (optical to analog), you still need a method to control the volume, such as a headphone amp with a volume control. You'll blast your ears otherwise.

If the TV has RCA out, you can attach a cheap Fiio amplifier w/ volume control and an RCA to 1/8" cable.

Does your headphones have 5 channels and a subwoofer?
Your headphones are most likely stereo, ie two drivers, so you dont want to output a 5.1 signal but a 2.0 signal instead.
You will need to look into a unit with optical in and a headphone out. Your tv might not be able to control the volume of the digital output from the optical output, so instead you might want to get a unit with remote control for volume.

Back