• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Headphones - HD 485

Sifu

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
85
So, I'm looking at picking these up. Can some users chime in with thoughts? Everything I've read about them indicates that their design is "open" meaning that background noises can get to me more easily. Is this true?

See, I need headphones that will allow a certain amount of background noise to get in. For instance, if my napping baby starts crying, I need to be able to hear that - but obviously I can't rock out with my speakers while she's sleeping!

Any thoughts? Also, I often wear glasses. Are these phones irritating with glasses? I also have a larger than average head, and some people have complained about tightness.

Well, thanks for your thoughts. And no, I don't think I'll bump up to the HD555s. I want to keep it under $100 - and I'm upgrading from crap phones, so a good set under $100 will be awesome for me.
 
Yah these are open, I own them... They do let a good amount of background sound in, but it also depends on how high you are bumping them... but open is open and these are defintely open...

Also, the tightness is easily rid of by wearing them on a box or something for 24 hours or so... I used my computer tower... they are very comfortable now...

Anyways, here's the one thing... How big are your ears? these do go all the way around the ears, but not on dumbo sized ears, so keep that in mind.
 
No worries, I can't really get any loft with my ears.

They sound perfect - thx for the info!
 
Indeed, I just picked up a set for $75 shipped.

VERY happy with these. The "open" thing is new to me (used to closed sets), and it's....interesting. Hit the 'mute' button on your keyboard (or wherever you have one), and you can hear everything going on around you as plain as if you had no headphones on at all.

Play something with them, and the amount it drowns out the environment is directly relational to the volume you are using them at. With Windows volume at 75%, and playing something "loud", like metal tracks in Foobar or something, and you won't be able to hear a damn thing in the house unless it's really quite loud (and even close but softer sounds are drowned out - the noise of PC fans running, for example, is inaudible at that level). But, again, tap the mute button and *poof*, it's like you don't have anything on at all.

They are definitely MUCH better sounding that closed sets I've used, though. Something about those...like...the sound somehow feels smaller.

Anyway, as to size...well, I wouldn't say I have a HUGE head, and they definitely fit comfortably. It *is* a snug grip, but the pads over the ears are just so soft, it's really not a problem at all.
 
i own them, they sound nice and clear and keep my ears warm, exept they let in alot of noise,
 
I thought the bass was way way to boomy and overpowering when I tried these.
 
Back
Top