• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Headphones for me

Silent Fart

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 3, 2003
Messages
189
Hey everyone, Silent here. I have a job now and I am looking into getting a good pair of headphones. I have about 150 bucks to spend on headphones and an amp if needed. What do you guys suggest? I listen to lots of different types of music and play FPS games. I was thinking a pair of senns but have no idea what would be good for what I want. To compare right now, I use a pair of plantronics .90's on an audigy 2 ZS.

-Silent
 
For only 150 bucks, I wouldn't consider an amped setup. Adding the amp into the budget reduces your headphone quality drastically, and usually only adds a bit to sound. I would stretch a little to get a pair of a900s which don't require an amp. I'm a bit biased toward audio-technica, been listening to my a900s for a long time here, and never have I regretted the purchase. A500's are a cheaper, similar sounding alternative also.

I'm not big on senns knowledge so, cue senns+amp recommendations now:
 
You can usually find a used set of Beyerdynamic DT770s on ebay -or HeadFi (www.head-fi.org) for ~150. These are closed cans that people usually rave about for gaming.
 
I am hearing a lot of people tell me the HD-555's are pretty good. Can anyone atest to this?

-Silent
 
I just got a pair of the HD-555's
They are great and I couldn't be happier for the $108 shipped I got them for.
(These are the newer 50ohm version instead of the 100ohm version).
They run great off of the front x-fi panel for music, game etc...

I personally am quite happy.
If I did not buy these, I would have chosen the Audio Tech A500's.

Either way, I think you would be happy.

D.
 
Is it just me, or wasn't this similar question just asked no less then 5 days ago? Lol.

Anyways, the general feelings from the last thread was the Beyerdynamic DT770 / DT770pro (which are my recommendation!), and the Audio Technica ATH500 and 900. The beyerdynamic is considered by many to be more comfortable and better for long use.

The old version can still be found for ~160$ bhphoto has the 250ohm version for a little less then 170$us.

~Hope this helps, and keep us posted
 
towert7 said:
Is it just me, or wasn't this similar question just asked no less then 5 days ago? Lol.

Anyways, the general feelings from the last thread was the Beyerdynamic DT770 / DT770pro (which are my recommendation!), and the Audio Technica ATH500 and 900. The beyerdynamic is considered by many to be more comfortable and better for long use.

The old version can still be found for ~160$ bhphoto has the 250ohm version for a little less then 170$us.

~Hope this helps, and keep us posted

The beyers are NOT more comfortable at all for long use compared to the ATs. Having tried out both, the beyers create a pressure on your head where the ATs just sit nice and smooth. The only thing about the ATs is that they can get hot, while the Beyer velour pad won't get as hot.
 
serbiaNem said:
The beyers are NOT more comfortable at all for long use compared to the ATs.
Looks like we have different opinions. Or better yet, different preferences and priorities.
 
towert7 said:
Looks like we have different opinions. Or better yet, different preferences and priorities.

Ya, I'm not really headbanging to my music, the ATs might fall off then. I've forgotten a few times I had my headphones on, causing me to snag the wire when I get up.
 
debaucher said:
I just got a pair of the HD-555's
They are great and I couldn't be happier for the $108 shipped I got them for.
(These are the newer 50ohm version instead of the 100ohm version).
They run great off of the front x-fi panel for music, game etc...

I personally am quite happy.
If I did not buy these, I would have chosen the Audio Tech A500's.

Either way, I think you would be happy.

D.

I second that on the 555s they're great and don't need an amp.
 
Maybe the different Beyers have different clamping forces, but to me, the DT880 clamping force is almost inexistent. Fits your head like a nice, comfy pillow.
 
Cyrilix said:
Maybe the different Beyers have different clamping forces, but to me, the DT880 clamping force is almost inexistent. Fits your head like a nice, comfy pillow.
I know with the beyer DT770pro, there were at least two different headbands. One was two metal rods with some plastic in the middle of the headband. People complained that this plastic hurt them, so many of them took it out or smoothed it down, etc.
The other one just has a metal frame, execpt a different style. I'm not sure if the new 2006 models are different as well.

Clamping force Could also be because of different size / style heads, although I always considered myself to have a wide head. Hm...
 
towert7 said:
I know with the beyer DT770pro, there were at least two different headbands. One was two metal rods with some plastic in the middle of the headband. People complained that this plastic hurt them, so many of them took it out or smoothed it down, etc.
The other one just has a metal frame, execpt a different style. I'm not sure if the new 2006 models are different as well.

Clamping force Could also be because of different size / style heads, although I always considered myself to have a wide head. Hm...

I've got a pretty average head here, maybe even a bit small.
 
Back
Top