headphones $100 budget

hacktor2

Limp Gawd
I am looking for a pair of headphones that are within 100 give or take 10-20 dollars. I recently had my sony MDR-V700DJ's break on me and i'm in need of a new set of cans. I will be using them mostly for music and gaming. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Which is more important, music or gaming? What kind of music do you listen to? What sound card do you have?

I have an audigy 2 ZS and in all reality music is more important, but I do ALOT of gaming. I mostly listen to old rock, rock, some classic stuff and some rap

EDIT: I do not want a microphone attached, just headphones. I also tried on a pair of Sennheiser's and they sound really good.

When I play cs i need to hear those footsteps :p

which sennheiser did you test out? I recommend the HD485 for 60 bucks or the HD555 for 100. grado's would be even better for rock music, but sucks for gaming.. the sennheiser does both pretty good.

Well... do you want closed/open/in-ear headphones? What's your source? Is comfort a major issue? Portability?

Good brands off the top my head are Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, and Grado, but that by no means is all of them.

The only headphones I have any experience with except for cheap ones that come with your standard portable CD player are the Audio-Technica ATH-A500's.

The only place I know of to get them is at audiocubes, here: http://www.audiocubes.com/product/A...Headphones.html or ebay. Good luck with ebay, I only found 1 entry for them when I was in the market, slightly used with a long extension cord for $100, and I bought them.

They come with a mini plug (for hooking up to a standard PC sound card) and IIRC, an adapter for the big 1/4" plug.

They're multi purpose for me, gaming and listening to ALL kinds of music (seriously, almost all kinds of music). As far as I'm concerned, if these hold up, I won't own another pair of headphones, I love them so much.

They don't need an amp, are uber-ultra-comfortable, and sound great to my tastes. They are not, however, by any stretch of the word, portable. Each 'earpiece' is easily almost the size of a CD. They don't fold up either.

For less than $100 and for closed headphones, it's pretty much either the Sennheiser HD-280 pros (I've read many good things, but read they clamp on your head), or these headphones.

I have the Sennheiser HD-485's and I love them. I use them for music and gaming just like you. Very comfortable too.

Hawkeye said:
I have the Sennheiser HD-485's and I love them. I use them for music and gaming just like you. Very comfortable too.

another vote for the 485's
although they can be somewhat Bright on the high end and boomy at the low end

Ugh, they might be GREAT for gaming.. but in music, it's the opposite ! Might as well get a good music can with some soundstage that will be great in both worlds! for 100 bucks... defintely recommend Audio-Technica ATH-A500 is ur gonna spend that much.....
which would blow anything out of the water for 100 bucks... the soundstage is gonna be really big and GREAT for gaming.

0V3RC10CK3D said:
I have these, they are very nice, I plan to upgrade to some HD-650's soon though

I had some HD-497's and LOVED them before I got my Grados... the HD-650 however is a different beast. Even with a good amp they sound "recessed" or something. Try before you buy :)

ImStillDave said:
I had some HD-497's and LOVED them before I got my Grados... the HD-650 however is a different beast. Even with a good amp they sound "recessed" or something. Try before you buy :)
Try downloading foo_dsp_tube.dll for FB2K 0.8.3, and tell me how you like it on your HD650s. I find it livens up the HD580s very nicely.

Hawkeye said:
QFT. Get the HD485's. hard to get much better for that price.

Another glowing review for the Audio-Technica ATH-A500.

I did some listening against these and the Sennheiser HD555. The Audio-Technica ATH-A500 was more full, and better positioning. Definately a nice set of starter cans IMO.

Back