• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Headphone Volume?

towert7

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 18, 2003
Messages
2,930
Hi all. Just looking to see if anyone knows what is causing this.

I have an Audigy 2 ZS plat, and When I connect diffrent headphones into the line out, each headphone is at a diffrent volume (with keeping the software volume the same). This makes sense to me.

BUT! When I connect my receiver to the audigy 2 zs with a digital coaxial cable and connect each headphone to the receiver's headphone output, all of them stay at the same volume (when keeping both the software and receiver volume the same).

Why is this? Why does the volume out of the receiver stay uniform, but when connected to the sound card, each heaphone is diffrent?

Just for an example, I have a beyer DT990pro (1200ohm studio version) and a senn HD280pro. In the computer, the HD280pro is about twice as loud. In the receiver, they are the same.

~Thanks in advance
 
is it possible that the high impedence of ur beyer is causing it to not get enough power? I dont have a receiver so i wouldnt know, just taking a shot here..
 
Yea, the beyer is probably harder to drive then the HD280pro, which makes sense to me. what doesn't make sense, is how the receiver is keeping all the headphones at the same volume........... what is it doing diffrently.....................
 
Most receivers' headphone outs are amplified. Not sure if that's of any help to you, but: before buying my Onkyo, I contacted them asking what the recommended headphone impedance/power would be (the manual didn't mention anything). Here is the response I got from them:

Onkyo USA Product Support said:
Re: TX-8011 related question

Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support.

The headphones are tied directly to the outputs through a 390 ohm resistor for the right and left channel to reduce the power to the headphones. Impedance should not be a factor unless the headphones are below 4 ohms. Headphones higher than 4 ohms would be no problem. Output power is also not an issue since they take the audio power directly from the output transistors and not from a "headphone driver" IC.

Now about your receiver... I have no idea how sophisticated the amplifier may be. I suppose it's possible for it to receive appropriate feedback from the headphones to keep different impedance ones at the same volume level.
Is it a high-end model?
 
It's not a high end model, its a Denon AVR-685 (same as the 1705)

~Thanks
 
Back
Top