• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Headphone rewiring and more

guitarslingerchris

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Oct 29, 2004
Messages
7,401
I did a little bit of searching here and I'm not really finding what I want to know. I have a pair of ATH-A700s that needs to be rewired and I was going to go ahead and do my HD-555s at the same time and possibly some other mods to them. I also have a CmoyBB headphone amp I've been running for awhile, that I dearly love, and I was going to make a new cable for it as well as an extension cable for my ZM-Mic1 so that I could have my mic working at the same time as my ATH-A700s when I'm using the CmoyBB.

My questions to you are as follows:

1. What wire should I use?
2. What connectors should I get?
3. Is there sleeving available for the above combo that looks/feels good I should use?
4. Where should I get these?

Don't hurt me if this has been asked a million times before, I couldn't really find what I wanted in search other than that you seem to like the Mogami quad balanced cable.
 
only posting cause im wondring why do you need to rewire your ATH-A700's did the wires break or somthing bought some my self this last week love them so far
 
only posting cause im wondring why do you need to rewire your ATH-A700's did the wires break or somthing bought some my self this last week love them so far

I absolutely love my A700s but they got knocked onto the floor as someone was walking past and the wire going into the cans got yanked out and I had to solder it back on. To be honest it works perfectly fine, but it will bug the crap out of me if I don't redo the whole thing.

As far as the HD555s go, I went ahead and opened them up tonight and did the soundstage mod on them, which also necessitates the HD595 mod and I think they definitely sound better. However, mine are not broken in yet and I still vastly prefer my ATH-A700s to them.
 
Go to headfi.com they have an awesome DIY section. Especially for all that you asked.
 
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1548594

was my mic mod on some ad-300''s

wire- left the original wire for the sound and ran a mogami balanced 2 conductor mic cable for the mic, i used a 3.5mm snap in jack from http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/3-5-2-5mm-Mini-Connectors.xhtml to install into the cans for the detachable mic

Connectors- I used gold plated stereo 1/8in jacks (3.5mm Headphone jacks) from radio shack but markertek has several good choices, i just wanted the gold color.

Sleeving- i used sleeving from parts express, i have used the carbon ones on the ad300's and plain black on my hd555's http://www.parts-express.com/wizard...CAT&srchCat=587&CFID=8288055&CFTOKEN=16780698

parts express is my favorite for sleeving and heat shrink in cool colors and markertek is my favorite for connectors of all kinds, i used to buy the neutrik connectors for like 79cents from them all the time, but they are out of stock sometimes.
 
It took quite a bit of searching but I actually did find what I needed on Head-Fi. Luckily I haven't ordered anything yet because I completely forgot about your mic mod to the Audio Technica cans and I really want to do that as well.

I'm going to run Mogami W2893 for the new cable and sleeve it with this.

If I plan to do the mic mod I am not sure how I will do the sleeving. Honestly I would rather keep my Zalman ZM-Mic1 than have to use bigger sleeving and have it loose.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yeah, i considered running one quad mic cable with 4 conductors and putting a 4 pole 3.5mm jack on the end so it could go straight into my mixamp or anything with just a single plug. i heat shrinked the cables together before doing the final sleeve so it would fit tighter. i suppose you could still make a 4 conductor cable work with a "cable pants" to split them up into seperate mic/headphone terminations as well. my zalman mic was way quiet on the console, on the pc it was fine but had a habit of picking up other peoples voices in the room with me. the boom mic solved that and worked with the console just fine, i wonder if my zalman was just a dud or something but i found it to be very underwhelming for console gaming.
 
Back
Top